Prom

Music was playing and the stars were shining on this beautiful night. Everybody was dressed in their best. Colorful lights were dancing inside the venue. The students were having the time of their lives - dancing, teasing and talking to each other. Alice was seated with her classmates and friends but she felt so alone.

Alice looked at everyone and thought they were all so beautiful. Looking so perfect in this somewhat perfect night.

Dance music was replaced by sweet music. Some stood up and invited others to dance with them in the middle of the dancefoor. It was a chance for students to invite their crush to dance or for their crush to invite them. Alice hoped for the latter since she was shy.

Alice's heart started pounding when she saw her crush go to her direction. She thought her crush was gonna invite her to dance. However, her hope turned into disappointment when her crush invited her popular classmate who also had a crush on the said person. Her heart broke because she thought.... Well, it was just that. Just a thought. Just her assuming things.

Her heartbreak and disappointment was fueled when her other classmates started teasing the two. It was like a slap in the face to wake up from her dream. It was like her classmates were mocking her because they knew. They knew she has a crush on that person but they chose to support their other classmate being that the latter was also popular and the two would look good together. It felt like they were against her. She wanted to cry but she held it. She looked at her friends and realized that each of them are in the dancefloor with their partners. She looked around and realized that only a few of them was left at their tables - alone.

She got up and sighed and decided to get some air.

Alice was busy looking at the sky when someone tapped her shoulders. She was surprised to see it was her crush.

"Hi, Miss. Care to dance?" the person asked.

When Alice recovered from her shock, she felt anger instead of giddy.

"Anong ginagawa mo dito, Sheki? Di ba sumasayaw ka pa dun? Dami pang nakapila sa'yo dun, oh! Hinahanap ka siguro ng lahat, Little Ms. Popular," Alice said bitterly.

"Pero Alice, kanina pa kita hinahanap. Pagbalik ko dun sa table niyo, wala ka na," Sheki reasoned.

"Bakit pa? Anong kailangan mo?" she angrily asked.

"Gusto lang kitang makasayaw. Please?" Sheki pleaded.

Alice wanted to cry because she dreamt of this moment. Yes, she has a crush on Sheki but it isn't just a simple crush. She might love her, even. Yes, she came to terms with it. She accepted it. Pathetic, right?

It would be hyprocitical of her to storm out of the chance to dance with Sheki so she took it. They danced in the garden, away from the main dance floor even if the music playing was already a party song. They danced like they were in their own world - slow dancing to the beats of their hearts.

She heard Sheki take a deep breath and cleared her throat. Sheki looked at her in the eyes.

"Alice, sorry nga pala kanina. Ikaw talaga ang gusto kong maging first dance kaya lang natakot ako. Pasensya na kung nagpadala nalang ako sa tukso ng mga kaklase mo at iba ang naisayaw ko," Sheki said, clearing her throat again and taking some air.

Alice just looked at her silently. Heart pounding and trying to prep herself not to be disappointed and not to expect anything.

"Alice... ano... c-crush kita," Sheki confessed.

This made Alice's heart jump. Did she hear that right?

"A-anong sabi mo?" Alice asked.

"Crush kita, Alice. Matagal na. Nahihiya lang talaga ako sa'yo." Sheki blused and looked away.