What If We Never

Alice sighed as she closed the tv. She was tired from studying and to get a little break, she decided to watch a local noontime show. She was surprised to see an idol group perform on tv. After a couple of minutes she decided to turn the tv off because she was reminded of the fact that she could have also been part of that. With bitter smile, she went back to studying.

"Ano ba, Alice? Everything happens for a reason. Isipin mo nalang ang exams mo. Aral na, bilis!" Alice said to herself, trying to ignore a nagging feeling.

After her final exams, Alice decided to go to Thailand all by herself for a little vacation. Just to have an escape for all the things happening in her life and in her country. Also, a little reward for a job well done. After all, surviving third year of nursing school is a blessing. Just for a week she will enjoy the foreign land before going back for summer classes.

Alice was looking for her seat on the plane when she saw someone already sitting on the seat next to her, somewhat sleeping with a face mask on.

"Swerte naman nito. Siya talaga nakakuha ng window seat. Malas ko naman na nasa gitna ako," Alice thought.

When Alice already settled in the middle seat, her movements might have awoken the person. Good thing there was no one sitting in the aisle seat yet.

"Sorry, Miss. Inaayos ko lang ang pagkakaupo ko. Masyado kasing straight ang seat ko," Alice explained.

"Pwede ka nang bumalik sa pagtulog," she continued, sounding so apologetic.

The person just looked at her and then went back to lean on the window side.

"Grabe naman. Wala man lang sinabi. Bahala ka na nga diyan," Alice said to herself again.

After a while, a cute girl sat next to Alice, occupying the aisle seat. She smiled at her and she smiled back.

A little while later, it was announced that their flight will be slightly delayed due to the weather. Alice heard everyone groan, even the cute girl in the aisle seat.

"I guess we're going to be stuck here for a while, right?" the cute girl asked her.

"Yeah. I guess so. I hope we get to fly soon," she replied.

When Alice looked over to the window side, she saw that the girl with the face mask was already awake. She heard her sigh deeply.

"Miss, ano daw sabi?"

Alice was surprised to hear the said girl asking her. She was momentarily frozen by the sweet voice that she heard. She never thought that such a sweet voice is owned by a stuck up person.

"Miss?"

"Ay, oo! Delayed daw yung flight natin dahil sa weather kaya dito muna tayo. Di muna ti-take off," she replied when she recovered.

The girl just nodded.

"Aba! Wala man lang 'thank you'? Antipatika!" Alice thought.

To lessen the boredom that she feels, she decided to open the in-flight magazines in front of her. She was surprised to see the idol group featured in the magazine. Without knowing it, she had been staring at the feature for a long time.

"Miss! Itago mo na yan. Kanina pa sinabi na aalis na tayo," the girl in the window seat told her.

Alice immediately closed the magazine and put it in place. She got ready for the take off.

When the plane was already settled in flight, she thanked the girl in the window seat.

"Salamat nga pala kanina, ha? Baka napagalitan ako ng stewardess pag nakita niya na nakatunganga pa rin ako at bukas pa yung table," Alice said.