Chapter 1- Ekene

Seven swans are swimming, six geese a-laying, I hum for fun, because I know today is going to be amazing. It’s just in the air.

Maybe I say that because of the graduation ceremony though.

Before anyone tries to surmise the cause of my thrill, I’m not valedictorian and I don’t think I will get too many prizes. I just know today would be great. Haven’t you ever just felt that a day was going to be amazing before it even started? Well, I have this feeling, but I’m trying my best to not say it aloud, so I don’t jinx it. And to accomplish that, I shouldn’t get too excited. I think I’m going to pretend I never had these in my head.

The gala and prom with our sister school yesterday night was way more than amazing, so why wouldn’t the main grad be too?

Just as I fantasize about the future greatness of this day, Odinaka steps into the hostel on his towel after taking his shower, dancing to a tune in his head, with a bucket in his left hand. “Wow! One of the most important days of our lives is beginning with mass?” He never takes anything seriously. I guess that’s probably why guys like him so much. “Haven’t we had enough mass, biko?” He steps over to Emmanuel––the one we call Emkay or Masterkraft, because of how fox-like he is, raises his hand, then before Emkay taps it, he takes it back. “Oh no! Too slow,” he chants and twirls so uniquely, and steps over to me with his hand high. “Ooh!” He moonwalks. Oh my Goodness! He got that line from a Disney show.

I tap his hand, just as it’s slightly above my head, near my forehead really hard and he gives me this smirk that leaves me perturbed. Yeah! I finally see the likeability in him. After six years. Kinda too late, right?

I smile. Odinaka brushes his relaxed hair backwards with his palms, then forward, as he chuckles, and some drops fall on my face. Emkay gives both of us a maleficent grin. “Why are you laughing this small boy?” and then, I know he’s talking to just me. “Ontop handshake?”

I know he’s hurt, but not that bad––we’re dudes. He’s just quite embarrassed of how he could be taken for granted like that. Anyways, I’m glad this is my last day with him, because he has this record of getting people back in a special way that I can’t really tell–– the same reason we call him Emkay. I’m not the tallest, brawniest person, so I’m not really sure if I can beat him if he tries any nonsense. As a matter of fact, I know I can’t beat him, and if I can’t, I shouldn’t try. I mustn’t try. Father Patrick would say, “Faces never look good with bruises.”

Mr. Kizito, the man who’s supposed to be in charge of the smoothness of our Valedictory Service enters the hostel with a bag. White to be precise. I don’t want to wonder what’s inside, even though it’s hard fighting it. He doesn’t just like me, and I almost got suspended because of him, although I was more than innocent––or should I say, highly impeccable. I’m so glad I’m leaving him. Today and forever. Mere words can not express the joy burning within me at this moment.

One thing I notice is that immediately he steps in, no one turns their heads. Not Felix, not Ope, not Ayo, or even Aina––every teacher’s pal. I like that. That would teach him to like me. Me, a whole me.

“I have something,” he announces moving to I.K., the Assistant Head boy and future Sergey Brin. “Call them together,” I think he whispers.

I.K. gobbles what he is chewing, and on his black singlet tucked into his shiny, ironed trouser, walks over to everyone’s corner to persuade them to gather around Mr. Kizito. I.k.’s belt is brown, so are his shoes which’s luminosity could be compared to the sun’s right now. However hard I try not to notice his jumpy trousers and rosy pink and yellow socks, I can’t. Their flashy, which is unlike his character. Small head, with a big and reserved brain.