Elvis

Dotun was all that’s on my mind from the beginning of school to the end. I want him to tell me how he is really feeling, but his stubbornness is flexible enough to transform to total silence. He didn’t talk throughout class, but looked attentive. For once, his legs were quiet under his desk and he sat upright. I wouldn’t be insensitive and bring up him being an orphan even if that may be the only way he’d tell me what is going on.

I’m happy because I get to use the school bus home today. Mum said that she would be taking Vivian to a doctor and that she would return late, so I should take the bus with Emelie and go to his house. Dotun would be using the same bus, and I hurry after him as he walks out of the class until I’m beside him.

“Dot Man.” I greet him, struggling to be at the same pace as him. He’s fast, but I don’t where he’s rushing to, leading me to ask, “Where are you rushing to?”

“Bus home.” His Power Rangers schoolbag has a hole, and his pencil falls from it.

I catch the pencil before it touches the ground. “Me too.”

“Thanks.” He looks at me probably wondering why I was nice to him. “When did you start using school bus?”

I’m happy he asks me a question for once, and I quickly answer, “Just today. It’s just for today.”

“Cool,” he smiles, then turns to his right were Emelie has been the whole time, then back to me. “Tell me what’s wrong,” he senses something that’s obviously not there.

Emelie and I chorus, “Nothing.” Then we blush.
Dotun shifts to my left, and now, I’m in the middle of the two of them. It makes sense now though. I’m taller and they’re the same height.

Because I was able to figure out everything that was going on with Emelie, I spread my arms on their shoulders and pull them into a hug. My mum says I’m lucky primary school friendships are easy and she’s right. It turns out Emelie’s letter was about his parents still owing the school some fees, and I just had to lock us in the bathroom for not even up to five minutes for him to tell me. I don’t want friendships to be hard, because if it does, I’ll have none. Look at me now that it's easy. I can account for just two.

When we enter the coaster bus, we take exactly the same arrangement we had walking over there. We had taken the seat before the last one; Dotun by the window, me in the middle, Emelie at my right, then one girl like that. I should have probably thought otherwise because of my asthma, but it was 01, the coaster bus. The A.C. was on the entire ride. We hugged Dotun as he reached the orphanage and waved as the bus was driving away. Now, I figured: Little People Have Big Problems, and sometimes, just being friendly can reduce the problems.