Tomilola

Chibueze’s car is a Mercedes-Benz and it cuts such a classy figure that I felt inclined to note that. Even though I don’t care. Even though I am wondering why I am going to a night party for the first time. I convince myself it’s because I’m being thankful for Rotimi’s progress, and this doesn’t mean I’ll be going for a party anytime Timi does better. This party will be the first and last.

Ocean View Hotel is built like the Sultan’s palace in Aladdin and it’s astounding. The out of the blue slash retro themed party planned by Chibueze himself is over the top and I’m actually surprised at his capability.

“You guys like it?” He asks as we stroll in after the party had started. “Planned it myself.”

Nneka hugs his arm and says, “Of course. Just look at everything. The decorations, the lights…” She starts to move her feet in order to break into a legwork and I’m scared her gown will tear. “…just hear the music.”
This girl is mad!

“I’m impressed,” I add to Nneka’s exaggeration and I’m sure his head has had too much helium injected in it, so I note, “You’re late to it sha.” To deflate that over-sized head.

No matter what growth hormone Chibueze ingests, as he tries to make it seem like his ego didn't just drop down to his next stool—even if it did— I am sure he’d never be that much taller me at this age of his. “Yeah. I noticed that too. Anyhow, let’s party. I’m twenty.” So, you should know you’re older than me with two years and you're short like this. Don’t be saying your old age out loud like that. I smile as he smiles, without saying any of these, and Nneka waves at me beaming and dragging him away.

It’s like all this DJ has on his playlist is just Wizkid, so I’m not in the mood to dance. It’s as if my body is switched off, so I just go to the bar to sit. The girl there is probably the tallest girl I’ve ever seen with my naked eyes and she asks me if I want to taste their new Chapman.

“Free?”

She nods. “I want someone to taste it before I put it on the menu.”

“Then why not?” And she gallops to get the drink.

Before she comes back, a guy makes his way to me and asks, “Do you want to dance?”

Wizkid's song was still playing so I tell the truth. “Nope. I don’t like the song,” and he looks at me and laughs.

“Damn it!” He laughs to a great degree. “Do you know how many of Wizkid’s boys will finish you?”

I don’t know what that means, but I say, “Tell them to come.”

“Super Woman.” He laughs and as he’s still glued on me, gliding back to his friends with a glass of wine in his hand, I notice he has too many teeth at the top and they’re jam-packed. Then he shows me his muscle still backing up his 'Super Woman’ comment.

As the bartender is back with the drink, I am about to tell her to taste it first before I drink when Nneka appears behind me, jacking the drink from my hand.

“Girl, what’s wrong with you?”

But she shushes me, taking a gulp. “Be careful about that guy o. He was the one who did that shit I was telling you about to Kamsi.”

I look at him still sipping that wine and Nneka sneaks a peek too. “Hmm.”

“Christ! That’s good Nathaniel!” After making air quotes when mentioning that 'good', Nneka bites her index finger, flags it in the air, like she was mad about something, then leans too close to my ear. “The one that tapped her nyansh.” She almost falls but suddenly gets herself back to her stance using my shoulder and my seat as support. “These heels,” she hisses.

This girl.

I’m thinking she is about to sit, so we can talk, but then she slaps the chair that’s beside me, starting to move her shoulders, like she does before she winds her waist. “Wizzy baby is calling. Jah Jah… Bless me.”

Crazy girl, I laugh as she dances away.
I give the guy a scornful look, but his wide grin shows he’s getting different hints, and all of a sudden, I have a plan. As his rather stout body walks to me, I am just much more convinced about why I should do this.