Ekene

As it had been happening ages ago, we are having the Celebration of the Holy Eucharist before any other celebration follows, and unlike the other Valedictory masses I’ve experienced, I was not wishing it was me in front, near the altar, about to leave forever, even though I was already there. Could have been the junior boys I had grown fond of, the teachers that had made my stay amazing, or leaving Peter, or the fear of moving on; having to start all over. Or even the fact that I couldn’t wish; it was already happening.

I’m still on my seat, which is just two seats from the aisle, in front of it all. Father John’s judging eyes, Brother Anthony’s silly smile, and the Bishop’s mitre and wacky glasses and slow homily. Gosh, it’s frustrating!

I keep throwing glances at Peter, then when he finally looks my way, I shift my face to my family, and they all smile at me; Mama, Papa, Ezechukwu, Egodi, Ezinne, Emelie, while Ebuka–– my cute little brother stands on his chair and waves like no one’s watching, like he’s in a concert, and I’m at the very, very, Important Person position and he’s trying to use me as a pass. That makes my head face the podium, and stay still for one-third of half an hour.

* * * * *

During the communion, I can’t help, but examine everyone’s height and notice how they’ve grown. It’s just what I do. When I look at myself, all I see is an exception. Felix, who I know I was much taller than in our first year is a six feet, I presume. I stare at Tobi and Chuks as they head to Father John’s arms–– Tobi in front with those astigmatism-correcting spectacles that make him look like Obafemi Awolowo, but you can still tell they are the same height. Or at least, just an inch apart. The same Tobi and Chuks that I could easily coerce to join me under the rains to set our paper boats in the drainages, and watch them float, and when the rain subsides, to fish for tadpoles. Chuks called them baby wall geckos. The same Tobi and Chuks that rushed with me to the dormitory to pack all sorts of wears; shorts, boxers and even towels to wear underneath our house wear knickers anytime we were given a heads-up of a round of lashing after night prep, now they, Valdano and Enyinna are the tallest in the set. Enyinna, another person I’m glad I’m leaving–– always thinking he’s better than me at English. We’re not at per, I’m exceptional. Unfortunately, we don’t know who is getting the prize yet. Chuks had two twin older brothers who were the only dunkers on the school basketball team, and Tobi’s lower section have always been longer than his upper section, so I shouldn’t be so surprised that they left me behind.

“Psst…. Aminu looks like Clark Kent…”

“Wah?”

“Well, with the glasses and a much fairer complexion he will.” Well, looking at Robert at my left always speaking superhero bullshit I’m pretty sure that it isn’t just me who hasn’t grown. I give him a side-eye from his head to his shoulders, comparing them to mine.

Affirmative.

“Hey, what are you thinking about?” Muyiwa taps me and asks. It’s kinda crazy that he notices my mind’s not here after he just took communion, but I don’t talk. For Christ’s sakes, I’m right in front of Father John!

Suddenly, Father John, the other priests and seminarians stand. And that frightens me, because I think Muyiwa has implicated me.
He lifts his hands high. “Now, for what we all came here for. Let’s join our 2018 graduands–– the Immortals, as they thank their awesome God for a successful six years. Truly, it’s not easy.” His voice is sonorous in the chapel. Louder than the bell for rising, happier than the one for games, less hassling than the one for Cognitive Enhancement classes in the afternoon. “Graduands first, then their family members and well-wishers shall follow. Then staff and finally…” he fills the chapel with a little tension as he grins, “the students who are still stuck here with me.” I grin at that too, turning my head to the back as the congregation rumbles in laughter.