Chapter 1

THE SCHOOL YEAR OF 2018 - 2019

With all things considered, Art could say that everything was going great.

Art tried to keep their face neutral. They tried not to fidget. They tried to act as casual as possible even with the many curious, shameless glances that came their way. Hell, the whole fucking school was pink and named after St. Rose. So, like, pink hair should have been normal, right? Should have made them fit right in? Wow, school loyalty? Wow, very excited to be a new student? (One of the only reasons Art agreed to enroll here was because the school was pink. So.)

Instead of a warm welcome, Art was made hyper-aware that they looked like a pixie. Or a faggot. To be honest, they should have just worn a sweater that said, "I am gay. Expel me." to get it over with.

Catholic schools.

Art scrunched their nose as they passed friends in the middle of their reuniting and teachers coming together to greet their beloved favorites. Art kept their mouth shut tight as they shuffled through the hallways packed with students. Fuck, the grey uniforms paired with the white polos were already making Art's eyes sore, and they just... wanted to sleep. Fuck, they were walking on thin ice and caffeine, fueled by nothing but the fear of their Mom.

"Ayusin mo," (("Don't do anything stupid,")) she threatened, index finger in Art's face. "I agreed to put you in a Catholic school because you didn't want to go to a science school or public school. Kaya ayusin mo talaga, Art Mendoza. O lagot ka sakin, okay?" (("So don't do anything stupid, Art Mendoza. Or you're dead to me, okay?"))

So, yeah.

Let's fucking go.

When Art reached the school lobby they edged closer to see what the unceremonious huddling of students was about. And, most importantly, what the fuck was with all the girls? They were tripping over themselves and making a fucking mess. They were wreaking havoc as they giggled, laughed, whispered to themselves, and squealed. (Fuck, could they all stop staring at Art? Huh? Haven't they heard of hair dye?)

"Form a line, please," the boy seated at the table announced. He was... interesting, to say the least, with his messy hair and tired eyes. He was twirling a pen around with long-fingered, dark-skinned, perfectly-crafted hands. And, shit, his sharp-jawed face was nothing but bored and impatient, very pretty mouth already forming into a scowl.

Oh.

Art rolled their eyes. So, there he was. School crush. Of course. Of course, there was a school crush.

"Hey," he called again, raising his voice effectively over the mess of general chitchat. "Form a line!" He ran his hands through his hair for a moment, and Art could just make out what he muttered under his breath. And, based on Art's—uh—professional lip-reading skills, what he said was either, Jesus fucking Christ or Fuck my life.

Art was taken aback by his vivid profanity. To be honest, it was fucking refreshing.

"This is just for new students," he explained when a girl approached him. He didn't even bother to look her in the face or hear what she had to say as he plastered the most fake but also prettiest smile Art has ever seen in their entire life. "Sorry. Maybe next time? I'm not free on Friday."

Art got in line because they were a simple person with simple wants—and teasing a cute, grumpy boy could make them happy enough. Also. They were a new student. So, it wasn't like their presence was completely unwelcome.