Chapter 12

The holiday season was extremely beloved in the Philippines. It was November, which meant it was time for Art to open their mouth and have Christmas shoved down their throat.

Because, well, when Christmas season came barging in... Resistance was futile.

The Christmas Songs All I Want For Christmas Is You, Christmas in Our Hearts, Jingle Bells was belted out during random parts of the day—at home and school—Art could do nothing but be swept away by the festivities.

The carolers have begun coming to their house, and Art stole from Mama's wallet to give them generous tips. Their pink school was lathered in red and green, as the Christmas streamers decked the halls. A bright, proud Christmas tree now stood in the school lobby, the school chapel was bathed in Happy Birthday, Jesus! streamers, and the morning worship call used upbeat renditions of Santa Baby and We Wish You A Merry Christmas.

And, if there was anyone that knew how to truly encompass the Christmas spirit—it was Chase.

Every day, he came in wearing an ugly Christmas sweater. He never wore the same one twice, and he was entirely committed to wearing a more obnoxious one as the days went on.

In the first week of November, he stuck strictly to neutral colors like grey and brown.

And then the second week came, and he was in all flashy shades of neon available.

"Putangina," Art cried as Chase came sauntering into school on the third Monday of November—late again, recess was nearly done—wearing the most awful neon pink sweater in existence.

It was terrible.

It blared the words, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JC!" and on the back was the image of a poorly drawn reindeer.

"What?" Chase demanded. He flexed his sweater as giggles erupted from all around him. "Ang ganda kaya!" (("It's pretty!"))

"SIRAULO!" Shay roared. He still sat on the other side of the classroom and kept to himself for the most part. But today he broke his code of "speak only when you want to look smart" as he doubled over in his chair and burst into hysterics. "ANGELITO, TANGINA MO!"

The next thing about Christmas, obviously, was gift-giving. Their classmates were already trading wish lists and shamelessly posting said lists on the classroom bulletin board. And soon enough, desks and lockers were scattered with Secret Santa gifts from admirers or friends.

This also gave Art the daily opportunity to make fun of the many bow-wrapped gifts that arrived on Shay's desk.

"What do we have today?" Shay yawned, bored out of his God-damned mind, and too used to the attention. He ripped off the red and green gift wrap then scrunched his nose. "Chocolate."

"Akin na lang," (("Give it to me,")) Art mused and grabbed it from him. "I fucking love chocolate."

"I don't."

"That's because you're bitter."

Shay snorted. He read the card. "This one says, Happy Christmas, crush. Kasing sweet mo 'yung chocolate na 'to.(("This one says, Happy Christmas, crush. You're just as sweet as this chocolate."))

"Puta," Art laughed. "Ang hina niya naman bumanat." (("She's weak at flirting."))

He gave them that fucking grin—an unguarded, delighted smile that reminded Art of late nights in Tagaytay City. "Really? Well, paano ba dapat bumanat?" (("Really? Well, how do you flirt?"))