| twenty six

Xiomara;

I get up from my seat to stand by the curtains. I hold my daughter in my arms as I watch Dave on the show from backstage.

He's in the middle of doing an interview on The Ellen Show and I couldn't help but admire my husband. Fame looks good on Dave, but I won't lie and say it hasn't changed him.

"Mama!" Maya babbles, making grabby hands to nothing in particular.

"Shh." I whisper, kissing on her cheek.

I gave birth to my daughter 6 months ago. I remember the day Dave woke up from his coma like it was yesterday. We were so excited to have a kid right then and there but about a week later, we realized how hasty we were being and decided to wait. I didn't actually get pregnant until fifteen months ago, carried my daughter for nine and now here we are.

Dave and I got married before all of that though. We only dated for almost a year before we were engaged.

"Mama." Maya pouts, looking down. I look down too and see that she lost one of her little baby socks.

"Girl," I shake my head holding her foot as I turn around, moving away from the curtain so we can go find it. We already lost too many of her damn booties to be losing more.

"Mrs. Brewster?" I hear somebody say from behind me as I search under the cushions on the couch where we were sitting before. I turn around, seeing an assistant wearing headphones holding up Maya's sock.

I laugh, taking it from her. "Thank you."

"No problem. Happens all the time here."

She walks away as I head back to the curtain to watch Dave. They were just wrapping up the interview.

"...So word is you were guaranteed to have a deal with Nike for 30 million dollars?" Ellen asks in amusement, making the audience cheer at the mention of money. "So is it done? Did you sign the deal?"

Dave chuckles. "Yeah I signed it."

"That's amazing man. Like was your hand shaking when you were signing it? Because I know mine would've been. I mean, 30 million dollars?" Ellen says in disbelief.

"Yeah I was coo' though, you know? Over the past few years I just been blessed, man. Life's been real good to me." Dave responds casually.

"That's good, man. I know you got your wife supporting you as well. In fact, I think a lot of the females in the audience have been wondering if you and your wife are even still together! We haven't seen y'all pictured together in a while."

I roll my eyes playfully as I smile. Ellen knows exactly what she's doing with that question because I just met her ass backstage half an hour ago. The audience goes wild anyway and I won't lie and say I didn't get just a little jealous that everybody's feeling for my husband now.

"My wife's good. We still going strong, sorry ladies." Dave chuckles, making the audience moan. You really would've thought it was some sound effects going on.

"Y'all also had a baby girl recently, right? As we've all been wondering what she looks like, right guys?" She exclaims to the audience, making them scream.