| thirty six

Xiomara;

"Watch your step right here."

"Right here?" I said, stepping inside. "Hm, smells just like my abuelita's house."

"Girl." Mía said as she trailed behind us. "At least pretend to be surprised."

We walked through the house before stopping abruptly. A door was pulled open and I felt a breeze. "Okay here," Mía said before Alejandro finally unraveled the blindfold.

"Surprise!"

Everybody was here, all my friends and family, even people I didn't know. Everybody was here, everybody but Dave.

The music turns back on and they all get back to partying as I gently smack my abuelita's arm. "You told me you were going back to the restaurant!" I laughed.

"Well surprise!" She smiled, shrugging her shoulders.

I shook my head in amusement, allowing her to kiss my cheek before I walked over to Latoya. She was talking to Alonzo after Junior ran away to go play with the other kids. The girls were standing next to her but she doesn't know them so I can see why it's awkward for her.

"Hey guys!" I said, hugging Latoya first. When I left Dave and I's place, I totally forgot I was leaving her in the guest house without even saying anything. I left pretty abruptly but we did speak on the phone last night about it.

"Girl who the hell was that guy taking the blindfold off you? Ain't it funny that I met Dave at a party too?" She joked.

"He's nobody." I laughed. "He's a friend. He even got me this necklace." I smiled.

"Is that so?" Ari joined our conversation as she walked over.

"Yes."

"Mhm. Well happy birthday." She said and hugged me.

"Thank you."

"Hey girl!" Paris exclaimed, pulling me into a hug too. "Happy birthday!"

"Thanks, girl!"

Latoya stood there awkwardly so I decided to reintroduce her to the girls. "Guys, remember Latoya? Y'all met briefly at the wedding."

"Of course! Hey." Ari said, hugging her too. I watched them interact and it seemed very forced and sad.

Ari and Paris walked away to get a drink while I introduced Latoya to Alejandro.

"Guys, meet each other." I said, making them laugh.

"Hola Xiomara's friend," he tells her, throwing his arm over my shoulders.

"Oh you spanish too?" Latoya asked since Alejandro sure didn't look it. He looked like any other black person.

"Afrolatino." He nodded, drinking from his bottle of beer.

"Just like Zo." Latoya noted. "My friend over here did tell you she's married right?" She added, looking at me unsure as she eyed his arm around my shoulders.