Mada-chan

"Be still."

     As hard as Madara tried to control himself, he couldn't help the way he jerked away from Tobirama's hands.  His instincts told him that it was a threat to his eyes, and in the Uchiha clan their eyes were practically synonymous with their lives.  He knew that Tobirama could be trusted- he knew- but it was hard to fight your own instincts.

     Tobirama sighed tiredly and took a step back.  After nearly half a day examining every scroll on eyes and the mangekyou in the Uchiha compound, he thought he had finally made a small breakthrough.  However, he could not test out his theory if Madara kept squirming away from him.  Medical ninjutsu required precise chakra control, and he could not properly perform his jutsu if Madara would not stay still.  He wished that Izuna and Madara hadn't fought him so hard on his acid idea (it would not have been the first time he used acid on himself for his experiments, and his sensory abilities would have been enough had his eyesight been lost.  The two of them had completely overreacted).

     "Do you think you could put me to sleep?  I do not know if I can be still long enough for the jutsu."  Madara shifted uncomfortably in his seat.  The idea of letting someone tamper with his eyes while he was unconscious was not particularly appealing, but he felt it was a better option than moving too suddenly and making the jutsu take a turn for the worse.  To both his relief and disappointment, Tobirama shook his head.

     "I have never performed such an operation before, and I am unsure if it will be harmful.  I need you awake to tell me if your vision worsens, so I can undo any damage I may cause before it is too late."  He swept his eyes around the room for a distraction. It was minimalistic- the only furniture was two operating tables and a desk, but the walls were covered in shelves overflowing with medical scrolls. His gaze landed on one of the operating tables.  It had straps to hold down a patient if need be, but he refused to use it unless as a last resort.  Being strapped down and experimented on would likely traumatize Madara.  Pulling his eyes away, he moved to stand in front of Madara again, where he was seated on the slightly more welcoming operating table.  As opposed to the white restraining table, this one was red and made of a more comfortable material (the red was likely to help cover blood spots).  When they first arrived early that morning (just after dawn, at Tobirama's insistence), Madara ordered a doctor to have this one moved into the room after seeing the other table.

     Once he was within arm's reach, Tobirama took hold of Madara's chin.  When Madara reflexively tried to pull away, he tightened his grip.  It was not hard enough to bruise (he would never want to hurt his fiancé), but it was enough to keep him from moving.  Gently, he asked "Do you trust me?"  When Madara nodded- which was hard with his face in such a tight hold- Tobirama moved his other hand over his eyes, holding Madara in place when he tried to back away.

     The instant relief from the pain in his eyes forced Madara's body to relax.  When Tobirama's chakra made its way into his skin, he was surprised by how warm it felt.  He realized that it was a sensation befitting of a healer: warm and calming. He could feel the chakra as it moved through his skin, the way it wrapped itself around something behind his eye. There was a slight pinch as Tobirama worked- probably from him repairing nerves- and Madara noticed the subtle way his vision changed. The things around him gradually became less fuzzy, the slightly blurred silhouettes of objects became more clear cut (after so long with poor vision, he had forgotten what it was like to see clearly! Though far from perfect, the world already looked so much better). It seemed that Tobirama had done it! In only a single day, he had managed to solve a mystery that generations of Uchiha doctors hadn't been able to crack. But then Madara heard him swear under his breath, and his chakra faded away shortly after.

"What happened?" Tobirama looked beyond frustrated, and Madara couldn't tell if he was more upset that the jutsu failed or that he failed.