vii

Count to 67
Chapter 7 - meet the victors

"being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage

"being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."

-Lao Tzu

"Welcome to the Capitol, Darlings," Vesta spoke as the train approached the platform. "Remember, big smiles."

"Smiles means that people will like you, I'm talking to you, Marina. Stop scowling." Finnick reminded the tributes once again.

"Yeah, whatever."

"We're just trying to help you." Zailee smiled. "They're quite...touchy, so try not to look too disgusted."

Wade laughed quietly. "Touchy? They look like they want to rip my limbs off." He looked out of the window and gave a charming smile, causing the citizens of the Capitol to get as close to the train as possible.

"See, he knows what to do." Vesta applauded the blonde. "Your turn, Marina."

The brunette girl sighed before approaching the window and presented a girlish smile. "Aw, they love you already." Finnick laughed.

The train stopped and the passengers aboard the vehicle stood in front of the door. "You guys can do this," Zailee reassured a nervous-looking Wade. Two peacekeepers were already at the door when it opened.

Loud cheers and screaming met the ears of the tributes, victors and escort. Hands reached out to touch them as if they were toys. "Head up, Wade." She whispered into the boy's ear. He nodded and granted the Capitol his grin once again. The two victors also smiled widely, pleasing the Capitol citizens.

Their eyes were blinded by the bright and flashy colours of the citizens' clothes, occasionally seeing someone with whiskers or a tail.

The group approached the Remake Centre and entered the large metal doors. "Now, we'll leave you in the hands of the prep-team, alright?" Zailee said.

"You're not coming with us?" Wade had a look of panic on his face at the thought of being left alone with Capitol citizens.

"We need to go and talk with the other victors."

"Wade, stop being a wimp, come on!" Marina dragged the poor boy by the collar.

"Thanks, Marnia."

The brunette just gave a dismissive hand and she walked away. Zailee chuckled. "They're adorable."

"Like you." Finnick teased. She blushed and looked away.

"Stop it, Finny!"

"Don't call me Finny!" The boy whined. Zailee stuck her tongue out at him playfully.

"This is cute and all, but I feel the need to throw up." Vesta scowled, her Capitol accent prominent.

Zailee laughed at her friend. "Let's just go, I wanna meet the rest of the victors!"