ix

Count to 67
Chapter 9 - this isn't a permanent goodbye

"you know when you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dream

"you know when you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dream."

-Dr Seuss

Zailee and Finnick watched in angst as Wade and the District one female fought. The pair were the last two remaining in the arena, sand blowing uselessly on the ground. "I'm sorry Wade." The District one tribute said as she disarmed him after a long fight.

The body of the district five male laid beside the battle, blood running down his head as he stared up at the clear skies.

"Just kill me already Gemma." Wade cried. "I want to be with her." Everyone watching the games knew who he was talking about, Marina. 

Gemma sobbed a little as she brought down the sharp blade to Wade's neck. 

"Do it." 

Zailee abruptly stood up and left the room, not able to watch anymore. Finnick looked at his girlfriend leaving and stared back at the screen.

Gemma looked down at Wade with tears in her eyes as in one clean swipe, his head rolled on the sandy ground. The cannon boomed and the 69th hunger games were over. "And the winner for the 69th hunger games is Gemma Topez." The announcer spoke and Finnick quickly switched off the television.

He stood up and found Zailee in her room, mumbling to herself. As soon as he stepped into the room, she glanced at him hopefully. "He's gone..." He shook his head as Zailee sobbed a little.

"They were such good kids..." Zailee whispered. Finnick wrapped his arm around the crying girl's shoulder and pulled her close. 

"I know."

Zailee laughed sadly. "I should've listened to you, I got attached."

"It never gets easier." He whispered. "No matter how much you try, they're all so likeable in their ways."

Zailee simply nodded and buried her face into Finnick's shirt and he rested his chin on her head. 

They had been in the Capitol for so long now, the games itself lasted for twenty-three days and Zailee had already been called for 'special appointments' twenty-three times, Zailee simply had enough.

"I can't take it anymore, The Capitol." Zailee sniffled. "Why do they think a pretty little necklace will solve everything!?" She yelled.

"Because they've been told that since they were young." Finnick sighed and leaned close to her ear. "I haven't been paid with jewellery for months now..."

"Then what do they give you?"

"Secrets...dirty little secrets."

"Hmm...secrets. What's the biggest one so far?"