xi

COUNT TO 67
Chapter eleven - new romances

"there is never a time or place for true love

"there is never a time or place for true love. it happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment."

- Sarah Dessen

"So, how have you been?" Gloss asked. "Aside from the whole disappearing thing." He teased.

Zailee tensed up slightly. "Erm, good, fine. I've been fine...how about you?"

"Incredibly lonely." He smiled.

"Lonely? You've got your family?"

"Of course...but is it greedy to say I long for more? I know some people aren't as lucky as me but...nevermind that."

"You babble a lot." Zailee teased.

"I'm told that a lot." He agreed. "So, you and Odair, huh?"

"Pardon?"

"You had a thing with Odair. I don't know why I didn't expect it, such a cliche...childhood best friends falling in love, so romantic!" He said with sarcasticness lacing in his voice.

"Well, it didn't exactly work out, so, not so romantic."

"Gosh, the writer is so unoriginal."

"Writer? What on earth are you talking about?" Zailee laughed.

"It's a secret~"

"You're odd."

"Thank-"

"Gloss! Let's go, he called our name." His sister - Cashmere - emerged from a room. Zailee would be lying if she said that Cashmere wasn't one of the most beautiful people she had ever seen, with long, blonde hair that cascaded in loose curls and piercing blue eyes. Her features were naturally blessed. It made sense - after all, her brother was also handsome, Zailee wondered what their parents must look like. Cashmere was a classic beauty.

"Alright, I have to go now Four, see you later?"

"Maybe, goodbye One!" She smiled and for the rest of the day, Zailee felt lighter, almost happier. 

She liked the interaction with Gloss, no matter how odd he was acting, but she was still saddened by Cordelia. Zailee got back to her hotel room to get changed into her normal clothes again. 

As Zailee, surprisingly, had no other things to do in the Capitol she was ready to leave and boarded the train. Cashmere and Gloss boarded a few minutes later, neither party knowing that the other was on the vehicle with them. 

Zailee talked with Vesta on the way home about everything that she could tell her - the Capitol woman would never understand why she did anything, after all, she was sheltered all her life.