Magic Blood

"Run." Hero said calmly, but his face looked a bit nervous.

"What's wrong? Why do you look so worried? I thought you did this all the time," Elizabeth asked.

He nodded. "I do, but I normally have my sword and not a puny dagger."

Ben looked mortified. Elizabeth was scared herself and couldn't move a muscle. The three of them stood still as the footsteps got louder and louder.

Hero turned back to look at them. "What are you still doing here? Run."

Elizabeth nodded quickly and ran as fast as she could with Ben running slightly slower behind her. He was trying not to limp so that she wouldn't think anything was wrong. Elizabeth turned around and smirked at Ben, still running.

"Why are you so slow all of a sudden?" she asked.

Ben tried to think of some excuse. "Um, I guess I just haven't been running lately. Or maybe because you tried going to school by foot the other day."

"Right," Elizabeth smiled.

She started to slow down as she saw a path start to form the further she ran. The trees weren't as thick as they were a few minutes ago. She looked back and waited for Ben to catch up. He wasn't nearly as tired. Why was he going so slow, then?

"Um, are you sure you're not hurt from before?" Elizabeth asked.

"Oh, don't worry, I'm fine, it was nothing!" Ben said nervously.

She raised her eyebrows but decided to leave him alone. Where was Hero? Was he in trouble? Why did they just leave him there? Ben plopped down beside a tree and Elizabeth sat beside him, waiting. It felt like 15 minutes had passed and Elizabeth started to worry.

"Are you guys okay?" Hero asked as he walked in from behind a tree.

"You're okay!" Elizabeth happily as she walked towards Hero.

Hero nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Um, where are we going to go next?" Ben asked with uncertainty.

"We should probably go find the fairy godmother, Alex, which also happens to be Elizabeth's aunt," Hero informed Ben.

"I think I'm gonna faint," Ben said, overwhelmed and in shock.

"Hey, do you guys feel that?" Elizabeth asked nervously.

"Feel what?" Hero asked, confused.

She looked at them. "This weird... aura..."

"Um, no," Hero and Ben said in unison.

Elizabeth walked around, with Hero and Ben following, and as she came close to a swamp and walked towards a set of dead vines that grew over a large wooden door.

"W-wait, what are you doing?" Ben asked, fear in his voice.

Elizabeth looked back. "This is where it's coming from. It's like, leading me here, you know?"

"Okay, first of all, that's creepy. Second of all, it sounds kind of like the beginning of a horror movie." Ben's eyes were wide.

Elizabeth laughed. "It's not creepy and this isn't a horror movie. It's magic."

She turned to look back at the door before Hero or Ben could say anything else. When she opened the door, she saw a large room with dirt walls and a low dirt ceiling. There were many books on the bookshelves that were lined against the dirt wall.

"Um, are you sure about this?" Ben asked.

Elizabeth ignored him, too distracted by the mysterious aura. She followed it to where it was the strongest and noticed that it was coming from a dark blue book that had a silver crescent moon symbol and almost seemed like it was glowing. Suddenly, they heard a rustle from the other end of the room, and a tired hiss following. The boys made a run for it but Elizabeth grabbed the book, for some strange reason, and sprinted for the door.

"I-Is anyone there?" said a voice that had inhabited this place as a gift from a former frog, but not just any frog, a frogman.

The creature had just woken up from a small nap and did not have the slightest clue of what had just happened a mere few seconds ago.

Elizabeth and Ben gasped as they finally arrived back onto the dirt road.

"Woah, and I thought I knew everything in this forest." Hero said with shock.

Elizabeth opened the book to a random page and started reading aloud.

"Weapon crafting spell... what I want, what I need, a weapon suitable enough for me, read my mind, and through it all, craft me a weapon right for thee," Elizabeth said.

Almost instantly, a knife in a pocket appeared in one of her hands. She almost screamed and dropped it onto the dirt floor.

Hero and Ben both looked shocked. "Wait, that was a spell? And that's a spellbook?" Hero asked, pointing to the book.

Elizabeth put the book under her arm and picked the knife up, slipping it out of the black leather pocket. It wasn't very big, with a serrated blade and a sharp tip that was turned up at the end. The handle was dark coloured wood with several pieces of rubber around it for grip.

"Woah." She showed Hero and Ben the knife and swung it around slowly, making them step back.

It was surprisingly comfortable to hold and seemed perfect for her.

"Well, I guess I should've expected that from you." Hero said with a little shock in his voice.

"What do you mean, you should have expected this from me?" Elizabeth asked, confused.

"Well you are the fairy godmother's niece, so you are probably a fairy, but let's just refer to you as a sorcerer because you don't seem to be fitting in a category of either witch or fairy." Hero said.

"So you mean I can cast magical spells!" Elizabeth said with much enthusiasm.

Elizabeth opened the book again and decided to practice some more inside her head. She was so excited, she didn't even notice Ben standing like a statue beside her.

"Wait, Elizabeth..." he said quietly.

She didn't look up at the book but replied. "Yeah? What's up? Oh my goodness, this one says I can heal injuries. How cool is that?"

"Elizabeth!" Ben shouted.

Elizabeth looked up with wide eyes. Hero stood closeby, equally as shocked.

"Ben, what's wrong?" she asked.

"It's a freaking spellbook. It gives you whatever you want, you just have to say, like, ten words. And you stole it from some sketchy dirt house, where we heard some weird snake noise. You don't think there might be some consequences? It's too good to be true," Ben pointed out.

Elizabeth thought. He was right, it was a little strange. But they had it now, and she wasn't planning on returning the book soon. She couldn't help it; she'd found something magical, something that could give her things she wouldn't have ever gotten without this whole world. Why would anyone give it up?

"I..." she started. "You know what? Think about it. Would you give up something that you came across by chance? And then if you discovered that you have magic in your blood, you would think that this whole thing is your... destiny or whatever."

"I would give it up, actually. I don't want you to get hurt. What if something happens? I can't protect you in a magical world. We don't belong here."

"You might not, but I do. Did you not hear a word I said? Magic runs in my family. My grandpa grew up here. I don't need your protection. Why would I? What have I ever done to show that I need protection? I'm fine on my own." Elizabeth had no idea why she was getting so mad at her boyfriend, but she didn't want someone who didn't understand anything to tell her what to do.

"Wow..." Ben said with anger and pain in his voice.

"Uh, you guys..." Hero said.

Ben turned around and started walking away deeper and deeper into the forest.

Elizabeth was shocked at how Ben reacted, Ben was never the type to be this upset about something. But she knew one thing, she'd really hurt Ben.