Mia meets Texas again pt. 3

“Well the atmosphere changed drastically.” Mia commented. Everyone stared at her. She shifted uncomfortably on the porch railing she sat on. Then pappy joe walked out and gave the kids a lesson from “beyond the grave.” Currently the gang is sitting in chubbys. Farkle had barbecue sauce on his face and had Mia and Zay laughing at him. Mia talked to her friends as Lucas and Riley left to dance. “Zay and Mia?” A girl asked, walking up to their table. “Vanessa.” The two answered her in different tones. Mia was rough as if she was mad and protecting herself and Zay. While Zay said her name shocked him. While Maya pretended to be Zay’s girlfriend Mia helped Farkle clean up his face. Riley then came over and messed up the improv. “She knows too much.” Farkle deadpanned. “Abort.” Maya and Riley said. They left Zay and Mia alone at the table. “Dance with me Zay.” Mia stood up grabbing his hand. He sent her a thankful look and the two walked to their friends. 

After listening to Maddie and Tae sing, the gang left chubbys. They sat down in front of a fire and sat in silence. Once Vanessa offered to buy Zay ice cream the two left. “Maya likes Lucas. And Mia is confused.” She blurted out. “Riley!” The girls said shocked. “You went too far.” Mia mumbled standing up. “Mia, wait.” Riley tried but Mia already walked away. “I’ll talk to her.” He reassured Riley and walked after Mia. Left was just Maya, Lucas, and Riley. “I should call my parents goodnight.” Riley mumbled, walking inside the house. Farkle walked to the front of the house. There he saw Mia on the swing under a blanket. “Can I join you?” He asked. Mia looked up and smiled softly. “Sure.” She said. Her voice was hoarse. Farkle awkwardly sat down next to her. “So if you don’t mind me asking.” He started talking. “What was Riley talking about. You being confused.” He asked. 

Mia sighed and looked up at the stars. “You know how I used to like Lucas? How I made the triangle. Him, Riley, and myself?” She asked him. “Yes.” He shook his head up and down. “Well I’m not confused. Riley is. I am not a part of the triangle anymore.” She smiled. “That’s good. But why-” Mia politely cut him off. “Maya took my place instead. But I think I like someone else.” She added quietly. As she talked Farkle was watching her talk. As she did Mia didn’t look at him but the grass and fireflies around them. “You think?” Farkle asked. “Well I plan on finding out. Want to know how?” She asked shyly. Farkle was about to speak but Mia looked into his eyes. He stopped talking as if he lost his words and couldn’t find them. They looked into each other's eyes and it seemed as the world around them paused. 

Their hearts beated rapidly in their chests. “I know.” She whispered, looking at his lips and back to his eyes again. His heart leaped out of his chest. The two looked at each other with passion in their eyes. As a force pulled them slowly to each other. Once their lips met everything fell into place. Her lips were soft and tasted like mint. Farkles lips were soft and tasted like the chocolate in the s’mores they ate earlier. Their lips moved in perfect sync, as if they were two puzzle pieces that fit perfectly. They pulled apart after a few seconds. They smiled at each other and both blushed a little. Mia leaned back on the swing and so did Farkle. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Mia rested her head against his chest placing the blanket over both of them.

Mia and Farkle talked about everything and anything all throughout the night. They admired the sunrise and that’s when they realized how long they were out. “Woah it’s morning.” Farkle commented. “Crap! What am I supposed to tell Zay and Lucas? They’re gonna go over protective best friend brother mode.” Mia told Farkle horrified. “You bet your money I will.” Zay butted in. Farkle and Mia looked in the direction of his voice. “Zay don’t be mad.” She walked up to him. “I was worried Mia!” His voice raised slightly. Next to him was Lucas behind them two was Maya and Riley. “Lucas, tell him I’m fine.” Mia tried. “No you had us both worried. What if one of Olivers ‘friends’ saw you?” Lucas asked. “I was in the front yard! Besides I took them once I can handle them again.” Mia growled. 

Farkle and the girls looked at the three confused. “What would have happened to Farkle if they found you guys?” Zay added. That got Mia silent. “Screw you guys.” She said her voice was full of venum. Mia angrily stormed into the house. The girls followed Mia into the house and the guys stood there not knowing what to say. “What happened out there?” Riley asked. “You guys should be happy not having overprotective brothers like Zay and Lucas. At times they’re a pain.” Mia muttered. “Oh darling!” Lucas tried walking in. Mia ignored him and walked out of the room. The girls once again followed her. Once again they’re back at the place Maya ran to when Lucas rode Tombstone. 

“What happened M?” Maya asked, sitting on Mia’s right. Riley sat on Mia’s left side. “You guys remember Oliver?” Mia asked. The girls nodded confused. “Well as far as you guys know we dated and he is a bully.” Mia started. “He was my first and only boyfriend. It was a verbally abusive relationship. Zay and Lucas helped me get out once it became physical. Which is why Lucas and I moved to New York for a fresh start. Like you said Riley people around here talk. Oliver twisted the story around so I was the bad guy and no one but my dad and stepmom believed me. Well besides for Lucas and Zay and their families.” She added. 

“Lucas and Zay have been my best friends since we were born. We shared a crib and grew up together. Everyone always thought Lucas and I would end up together because our families were best friends. Sort of like destiny. So since I was five I did like Lucas but realizing as I grew older now, that I felt like I was obligated to our families and at some point Lucas felt like that too. But we never did anything more than friendwise. I love Lucas and Zay. They are my brothers. They always will be. Lucas and I may be a few months older than Zay and you guys but that doesn’t matter. Lucas and I got kicked out because I was defending Zay and Lucas defended me. That got us and we transferred to where you guys were.” Mia admitted. 

“All my life Zay and Lucas chased boys away from me. One time they didn't, that was for Oliver. That backfired. Since then they’ve been worse than ever being protective. I don’t think you noticed this whole trip I either was with Zay or Lucas. Or both. Or when we’re all together like at chubbys.” Mia told the girls. “You’re alone with us now.” Maya pointed out. “No we’re not. Lucas and Zay have Farkle captive over there.” Mia pointed behind a tree. Maya and Riley looked shocked as two guilty boys walked out with Farkle.

“Boys!” Riley scolded. “Not sorry.” Zay and Lucas admitted. Riley and Maya looked shocked. Before anyone of them said anything Mia, Zay, and Lucas smelled cinnamon mixed with pine in the air. “Zay, take Riley, Maya and Farkle back to the house.” Lucas ordered. “Have Mia do it. I’m helping this time.” Zay insisted. “Don’t argue. It’s a code green.” Mia growled at Zay. Worry flashed through Zays eyes. He took the trio of New Yorkers back to Pappy Joe's house. “Pappy and Joe are out for most of the day. No need to worry about that.” Zay talked to himself. The trio watched confused as Zay locked all the doors and windows. “Stupid. Should’ve left right after the rodeo.” Zay muttered. “Zay!” Maya yelled, grabbing his attention. “What’s gonna happen to Mia and Lucas?” She whispered. Riley’s eyes held worry and innocence. Zay didn’t have the strength to tell her.

After a few minutes of silence Maya soothed Riley into sleeping. “If anything goes wrong and I have to go outside. Call the cops and tell them where Mia and Lucas are at.” He whispered to Maya and Farkle. “What’s going on?” Farkle asked worriedly. “The mixed smell of cinnamon and pine is something we can never forget. It was Oliver and his friends' smell. Let’s just hope they didn’t see you guys and follow us.” Zay whispered. “Why did we leave Lucas and Mia?” Maya asked. “Because there’s no way they could protect all four of us. I tried fighting them with Lucas and Mia. One punch and I was out.” Zay admitted. “I’ve gotten slightly better. Like now to protect you guys I can stall them till the cops come.” He finished. “We should call the cops now.” Farkle told Zay. “No. The cops hate us from last time. Plus if they're just talking then we’d get in trouble.” Zay answered. The three looked at each other hoping Mia and Lucas would be alright.