Mia meets high school pt. 2

The next day after school Mia is standing in the doorway of Mr Matthews world history class. Mia watched with sad eyes as her friends fought and she couldn’t help. “Why aren’t you there with them?” Cory asked. Mia entered his classroom and shut the door so no one heard them. “The seniors are great kings Uncle Cory. I found that out and so will they.” Mia admitted. “Why not explain it to them?” Cory asked. “You gave us one last final test last year. Well this is the midterms.” Mia told them. “When are the finals?” Cory asked. “Don’t know. But I’ll let you know when the schedule is posted.” Mia promised. “You won’t tell them what I told you right?” Mia worriedly asked. “No I won’t.” Cory promised. The door flew open as Mia took a step back sitting on a desk. 

As they talked about feeling unimportant Mia felt guilty. She looked out the door and she saw three cheerleaders waving her over. Cory noticed not one of them realized Mia was behind them and they weren’t worried for her. Mia walked out of the room to the girls. “We’re thinking of doing our homework together. Want to come with?” Nikki asked. Mia took one look at her friends talking to her Uncle and sighed. “Yeah I know a great place.” Mia agreed. 

A few hours later Mia is laughing with Nikki, Francesca, Nia, and Thor. “Do it again!” Mia cheered to Thor. He grinned and did an impression of Kermit the frog from the muppets again. The girls laughed again till their stomachs hurt. “Mia?” A voice asked. Mia stopped laughing and froze. There was Zay, his face was unreadable. “Hey Zay.” Mia said nervously. “What are you doing here with them?” He asked, folding his arms. “So you know how I took those tests for advanced classes over the summer for fun right?” Mia asked. “Yes.” Zay answered. Mia stood up in front of him. “Well I got into a few AP classes without even trying. They were in my classes and we’re all working together.” Mia lied. 

She did get into AP classes but not with them. “That didn’t look like studying.” Zay commented. “Well we took a break. I showed them my video of me acting like yoda when we were five. They were laughing at me.” Mia lied. “Why would you show them that?” Zay asked worriedly. “I thought if I became friends with them they’ll let you guys stay out of the hole.” Mia faked a whisper. Zay didn’t notice. “You’re risking a lot for us. Thank you. I’ll tell the others!” Zay said excitedly. 

Zay ran out and Mia watched him run up the steps. “You lied for us.” Thor said. Mia didn’t say anything but sat down and kept her face blank. “You know, you’ll have to lie again and say it failed. Or you’ll keep trying but there’s no hope.” Francesca told her. “The other lesson is you won’t always be there to fix everything. Trust me they’ll end up loving you more.” Nikki promised. “We’ll be here for you till they find out their paths.” Nia promised. “You earned our trust and respect. So we hope to get yours soon.” Thor told her. Mia gave them a small smile in return. 

In the bay window Mia sat in between Maya and Riley. “So how’d it go?” Riley asked, grinning widely. “So far I’m failing. I haven’t gotten them to change their minds about the hole. I still have no idea how I’m different and if I have to be their pet to find out I will.” Mia lied. “It’s ok Mia. We will find out what they are trying to teach us.” Riley promised. “They aren’t nice Riles. Like Lucas said they’re making fun of us.” Maya nearly yelled. “I don’t want to believe that! Everything happens for a reason.” Riley spit back. “I’m thirsty.” Mia said, standing up to leave. The girls didn’t notice and kept bickering. 

The third day of high school passed. Riley, Maya, and Mia are sitting in Topangas hoping the boys would show up. “How stupid was I?” Riley asked. “You’re not stupid.” A voice said. Mia grinned softly and the four seniors noticed. “You.” Maya groaned. Mia gave a slight laugh. The triangle stood on the sides of Maya and Riley while Nia sat next to Mia. “Why would you guys do this to us?” Riley asked. “Our friends left you know.” She added. “Yeah that’s what happens people leave.” Francesca told them. “So what? You’re following us now?” Maya asked annoyed. “No.” Thor chuckled. “You’re following us actually.” He said. “Yeah we’re in here all the time.” Francesca added. “Yeah this is our place.” Nikki finished. “How come we never noticed you?” Maya asked.

“Because you’ve been stuck in your own little world all this time.” Nia told them. Nikki sat down next to Mia and Nia. “Don’t you want to grow up and join ours?” Nikki asked. “You guys have to stop and look around more.” Nia said. “Mia already did that. She went to summer school and learned.” Thor grinned. “That’s why we put you down there and not her.” Francesca told them. “Don’t jump so fast look around.” She added. 

“Are you guys good people? Or just messing around? Just tell us that.” Riley asked full of hope. “We’ll… We’re definitely messing with you.” Thor sat down. “But we like to think we’re good people.” Nia added. “Mia figured it out. Now you guys just have to figure it out yourselves.” Thor told them. “Ok?” Nia asked. “Not ok.” Maya answered. “I don’t believe in you. But I do believe in them.” Maya looked at Riley and Mia. “Thanks for coming. Hope you find another project.” Maya picked up her notebook. Mia took her notebook. The seniors gave a small laugh. They nodded at each other and stood up. “You are with us at lunch tomorrow.” Nikki pointed at Mia. “Not like I have a choice. My friends will be in a hole.” Mia joked. 

They gave her a small smile and left. “Hey.” Farkle whispered. “Look I spoke to everybody. I know we’re supposed to be here. Everyone is just a little upset. You did ruin our first three days of high school.” Farkle admitted to Riley. Mia shook her head and handed Maya back her notebook. “So we all just did our homework at home tonight.” Farkle added. “Farkle I’m upset with you.” Maya said. “And I’m upset with you.” Farkle defended. “This is how a real fight begins.” Maya told him. “Actually I think we’re ending right now.” Farkle admitted. “Hey we’re not the ones who made high school harder than we thought it was gonna be.” Maya raised her hands up. Mia put her hands in her face. “We’re not the ones who trusted complete strangers.” Farkle started to raise his voice. 

“I believe in people and you know that.” Riley told him. Mia stood up and gathered her stuff. Starting to leave. “Yeah leave and not do anything. Where have you been the past three days?” Farkle yelled at Mia. “I was trying to get you out of the hole.” Mia told him tears in her eyes. It was true she had to stay out of it and they had to figure it out on her own. Mia walked out of Topangas and headed home. 

Day four of high school. Mia stood against the railing. Riley and Maya stood in the hole by Mia’s feet watching people. “They’ll come. We’ll be here.” Riley tried to have hope. Mia walked over to Nia sitting in the school's bay window. “How did you do it? I lost all my friends and the guy I like.” Mia whined. “There’s a storm before the rainbow.” Nia told her standing up. Mia watched her wave bye and head to class. The bell rang and it was time for class. Mia stayed sitting in the window watching the people head to class.