Mia meets fear pt.1

“Hey Farkle.” Mia got Farkle’s attention. It’s the morning of December twenty eighth. The two were currently watching TV as they ate breakfast. “What’s up?” He asked, giving her his full attention. “Remember when the year books came out?” She asked. “Yeah, why?” Farkle asked, confused. “No that wasn’t what I wanted to ask. I wanted to ask this before I head out with Eric for the day.” She shook her head. “When I moved here with Lucas. Within no time you claimed to have fallen in love with me like you are with Riley and Maya.” She paused. “What made you think you fell for me?” She asked. Farkle turned off the tv. He turned to Mia and looked at her in the eyes. 

“I love Riley and Maya and I always will. I thought I was in love with them but I’m not. Everything I ever said about them is true. But remember the day Mr Matthews gave us all detention for an hour. I explained how things would be with just Riley and then I explained how things would be with just Maya. All while the class divided you didn’t choose sides. You stayed in the classroom relaxing on the back counter where the textbooks sit. No kid noticed you besides me.” Farkle spoke. 

Before Mia spoke again. Farkle continued to talk. “The day the yearbook came out you were the first one to figure out the real reason I wanted to change. You were the one to help me realize that I needed to find myself. When Billy bullied me last year and you stood up for me is when I started to like you intensely.” He admitted. “I saw you cry one day last summer. You were upset about your dad who took off once again. You cried in my chest and I felt like I was worth something to you.” He told her. “The triple date we went on I saw you trying to talk to Charlie but he had his eyes on Riley. You weren’t crushed because you didn’t have hope for that date. That night Lucas and I walked you home because Riley and Maya went back to the bay window. Yes you're their best friend but you never felt included because it's always been them and technically me too.” He told her. 

“When you liked Lucas and found out Riley had a crush on him, you backed away. Just like Maya did. You realized how innocent she is and became a part of our friend group. You stood up to Lucas when he called Maya short. Despite all the teasing she does on both of you. When Zay and Oliver first came to our school it was written on your face you missed Zay. Even with all the trouble he brings you and Lucas.” Farkle told her. “I know you still don’t feel included with Riley and Maya. I know you love them. And they love you. But you think you don’t fit in.” He included. “I liked you since we first met even if it was just friends.” He told her. “I started to love you like I do for Riley and Maya since Billy bullied me. But I officially realized that I fell for you in Texas when we kissed and talked all night. Not once feeling tired under the stars.” He told her. "All the little things in our lives made me slowly like you. And it took that night in Texas for me to open my eyes and it was bigger than what I thought." Farkle told her. 

Mia looked at him speechless. The intercom signaling Eric was here. "Just a minute." She said through the speaker box. "Farkle you mean so much to me." She took his hand. "I grew up with guys all around me and a stepmom who I barely saw. So I'm not good at expressing my emotions or accepting them. But I like you, Farkle. More than a best friend. I'm sorry that the day you saw me cry was the day you felt that you were important to me. Because you always will be. Ever since the day I met you in Mr Matthews class." She told him. "That night in Texas we spent outside talking about everything important to us means more than you can think of. And I do have love for you as I do for Lucas and Zay and all of our friends." She told him. "But it's more than that because I like you. And it's so intense I don't know how to respond to it." She admitted. "But what I do know, is that I like you and you will always be important to me." She told him. 

"What do we do now?" She asked. "Right now you go spend your day with Eric. Because I know that he is important in your life." Farkle told her. "Are you sure?" She asked. "Yeah I have some stuff to do anyways." He smiled at her. "Alright I'll see you later. Eric and I plan on checking out our new apartment today." She grinned excitedly. "Have fun and be safe." He told her. She nodded smiling at him and headed out the door. Farkle watched as the door shut behind her and sat down on the couch. Thinking about what to do now. 

“Hey this is the same building that Maya lives in.” Mia noted. “Yeah I think living near your best friend will be good.” Eric half told the truth. “You really want me to be your responsibility?” Mia asked. “Yes I really do.” Eric told her. The two entered the now ready apartment. “We can move in tomorrow if you want. I have the keys. Here is yours.” He threw the keys horribly. Mia didn’t catch the keys because they were a mile off. Then Maya and Katy entered through the open door. “Howdy neighbors!” Katy greeted in a fake cowboy accent. "Howdy there!" Eric greeted excitedly. "Hey Maya." Mia greeted. "I like your guy's place. Where's your new room?" Maya asked, looking around. "I don't know. Help me pick it out!" She said excitedly. Maya's smile widened and nodded. 

"I like this one. It's small and cozy. Plus it's easy to sneak out of." Mia whispered the last part. Maya grinned at Mia. "I see your bed there." She said. "I have my clothes and I have whatever I can fit in boxes. So I don't have a bed or dressers." Mia honestly spoke. "Oh. Well I'm sure you'll get what you need." Maya told her. "Yeah of course." Mia told her. "Hey girls. Katy left for work. And I have a few places to be. You good alone?" He acted suspiciously. The girls nodded yes and Eric ran out the building. "He's so weird." Maya commented. "That's what makes him unique." Mia added. So what's going on with you and Farkle?" Maya asked, grinning. 

That's when Mia spilled her guts unconsciously to Maya. "Wait." Maya said once she was done. "You feel like you don't fit in with Riley and me?" Maya asked sadly. Mia looked at Maya, her eyes dimmed down sadly. "I never really fit in. It's always going to be Riley and Maya. And if there's a third person it's Farkle. Just like Zay, Lucas, and I." Mia paused, thinking. "You guys grew up together. I'm just someone you met on the subway. I mean we're only friends because Riley and you thought Lucas was cute. I was the extra person that was barely there. You didn't like me in the beginning." Mia told her. She leaned against the wall. "I didn't like Ranger Rick either." Maya told her. "Yeah you did. You just wanted Riley to experience those feelings too." Mia told her. 

"When we first met you teased me a lot and I never showed it bothered me. Unlike Lucas I never fought back and when he did, I defended you. When Riley lost herself over the year book I was there trying to get her back. And then you lost yourself trying to be her. When you came back we both got her back. On my first date ever he kept looking at Riley who was looking at you who was looking at Josh. Lucas and I fought side by side in Texas to keep you, Farkle, and Riley safe. Did we even get recognition? I mean a simple hug. Not stared at like we were freaks." Mia stood up. Maya looked at her. "I never had a real mom. Or a girl in my life. I thought I had Vanessa but she broke Zay's heart so I stuck with Zay. I'm not like you and Riley." Mia admitted. 

"Your fourteenth birthday was fun right?" Mia asked. "I was there with Riley picking out the rings. She got two and I wasn't even invited. Lucas and Farkle were there. They asked me how come I wasn't there. And said I wasn't invited or knew you were celebrating." Mia continued talking. "There's thunder and there's lightning. No one likes hail." Mia told Maya. "Mia I'm sorry. I didn't know." Maya told her. "Don't be sorry. I didn't realize this till right now. All my thoughts are coming together. As I speak." Mia told her. "We're your friends. And we can fix this." Maya told her. "Friends? Is that what we are? You guys accepted Lucas. I'm just your friend's friend to you and Riley." Mia said, tears pouring out of her eyes. "You know that's not true." Maya told her. "It is though." Mia said. Before Maya could disagree. "We made plans to hangout a few days ago at Topangas. I was alone sitting in a booth waiting for you. Then I got a text saying your mom wouldn't let you go out. Your mom was working at Topangas. She took my order and gave me my muffin. Then five minutes later you posted on social media a selfie of you and Riley at demolition." Mia told her. 

Maya felt ashamed. "I'm so sorry." Maya told her. "For the first time I thought I had friends who were girls that I could talk to, and do stuff I couldn't do with Zay and Lucas. I guess I don't." She looked at Maya. Then Eric came back yelling saying he had good news. But Mia ran out. Leaving a now crying Maya and a confused Eric.