THREE

"Hello? Where are you guys?" I call into John B's house, we had planned to meet here, but I can't find anyone.

"We're in here!" Kie calls from inside. I walk in to see everyone standing in the office.

"Hey guys, what did I miss?" I ask as John B is searching for something.

"Well we went to Mrs. Lana's and those guys that were shooting at us were there harassing her, we think it has something to do with the compass. Where were you by the way?" JJ questions, looking me up and down.

"I had to help Aunt Stacey, why do they exactly want this compass?" The Aunt Stacey thing was a total lie, I was actually with Rafe. I know he's a super big asshole, but he's nice to me.

"We don't really know." John B says, still looking for something. He then grabs the compass and screws the back off of it. It says Redfield.

"Why Redfield? What is that?" I ask

"Well besides the most common name in the county I don't know." Pope sasses me so I give him and unimpressed look.

"Maybe it's a clue to where he's hiding." John B says, Kie and I give each other a sympathetic look, we've always been the ones giving John B a little hope for his dad. Pope then begins to talk so we give him a look too and he shuts up. The rooster keeps crowing, Pope hates it.

"How can you guys concentrate with that thing crowing at you?"

"Hey that's JJ and I's favourite rooster ever, leave him alone we love him." I say pushing past Pope to look out the window.

"Guys someone is here, hurry look." I say as they all crowd around me. It's the guys who had shot at us yesterday. Great.

"JJ where's the gun?" John B says as he presses JJ against the wall.

"Gun, uh I don't know."

"The one time we need the gun JJ, you don't have it?" Kie is pacing up and down with her hands palming her face.

"Um it's in my backpack... on the porch. It's on the porch."

"Go get it!" I yell

JJ runs to get the gun, but we hear the two men yelling and trying to get in the house so JJ runs back into the room. They come into the house and start throwing things around, they sound really angry and I'm starting to get really scared.

"Window, we have to go through the window." We all move to the window and try to open it, but it won't budge. Kie grabs a knife and starts cutting it because it's sealed shut, thanks to the paint. The guys start banging on the door and I can't help but start silently crying. I hate crying in front of everyone, it always made me feel so weak.

JJ sees that I'm trying to hold back my tears, so he grabs my hand and gives it a squeeze of reassurance. We get the window open and climb out, run to the chicken coop and hide inside.

They two men are outside now and the rooster is crowing so loud that it's drawing their attention.

"Pope shut that thing up, now." JJ whispers angrily.

"What am I supposed to do?"

"I don't know talk to it or something, please do something." Kie is crying a lot now, so am I.

The clucking gets louder so JJ crawls to the rooster and puts his neck in his hands. He snaps it's neck, which makes me flinch and start crying even more. JJ sits back down and I crawl to him and give him a hug. I can tell he wants to tear up, but there's no way he's gonna let himself do that.

The two men finally drive away and we all relax a little. Kie and I wipe our tears away and I back off of JJ.

-

We decided to go to the Redfield lighthouse to investigate, but only John B and Kierra go in, so it's just JJ, Pope and I.

"Great I'm stuck third wheeling." Pope says

"What do you mean third wheeling, we aren't together remember the rules?" I snap back

"We all know you two are gonna break those rules eventually, everything you guys do revolves around each other have you noticed that? Whenever we're faced with scary situations like that, you two are always hugging, holding hands or something. Whenever either of you flirt with someone, it's just to spite the other person. Plus you're literally always flirting with each other"

"You've got to be kidding, Del and I? No way." JJ scoffs.

"Shut up JJ, I'm not that bad you would kill to be with me and you know it."

"See you just proved my point. Always flirting."

"Pope can Dellah and I talk alone for a second?" JJ asks, at first Pope doesn't move then JJ glares at him. Pope rolls his eyes and walks behind a tree.

"Dellah I need to tell you something. Even if I did have feelings for you, which I don't, nothing could ever happen between us. I'm sorry, I just don't think I need a relationship right now."

"What? When did I ever say I wanted a relationship with you right now, you're the one making bets about falling in love, JJ. Make up your mind jesus."

"Okay well the bet is still on because I know i'm gonna win."

"You don't stand a chance JJ Maybank."

He steps closer to me and puts his hand on my face, which makes my heart beat a little faster.

"Dellah Adair, I think you are the prettiest girl I have ever seen. Like wow." Him saying that made my face go bright red and I just open my mouth because I don't know what to say.

JJ starts laughing. "I told you I was gonna win, I just made you blush so hard. You totally want this D."

I hit him in the arm, hard this time. Just as I thought he could actually be sweet he pulls that shit.

"Cops! Cops! Run!" Pope says as he comes running to us, JJ and I turn around to see a cop car so we sprint into the van and drive away, leaving Kie and John B.

-

JJ and I are giggling and smoking in the back of the van as we drive to the cemetery. We probably smoke the most out of the entire group, when we were younger and Aunt Stacey was super strict about it, we always told her that we were just going for a walk and came back laughing. I'm sure she knew, she just didn't want to yell at us. She always wanted JJ and I to get together, she'd even try and cook a nice romantic dinner for us, we would just laugh and scarf it down, completely ignoring the romance.

We make it to the grave of some ancestor of John B's and we try and pull the door open. A huge snake slithers out of the wall and I let out a huge scream.

"You baby." JJ laughs at me before barking at the snake, real mature. Everyone is shushing him, but he keeps barking.

"There's no way we're getting this open John B." Pope examines the door, he's right we won't get it open.

"See that hole, I can fit through it." I suggest as everyone else takes a look at it. They all agree and JJ gets down to help boost me up. As he's trying to boost me up, my chest area goes right in his face.

"Wow I sure missed this view." He jokes, so I push my foot down on him.

"Ouch." He says sarcastically.

He manages to lift me up and I take a look around the grave, only to find a package.

—————————

a/n: hi! thanks so much for reading❤️ if you go back to the characters page you can see that i made some updates! i added a playlist & some aesthetics that took me forever, love u all