EIGHT

I stare at the person who's been a stranger my entire life, the wicked witch of north carolina, as JJ and I would call her. She just stared at me, not saying anything.

"Dellah, you're so beautiful now."

"Yeah thanks mom, if only you would've seen me grow up. Why are you even here? Did you and dad run out of money or something? Come crawling back here seeing if you could mooch off of us?"

"No sweetie, I came home because I needed to tell you something. Your father died last month, I'm sorry."

Aunt Stacey left the room in tears, that was her only brother. He's my only father. He's dead now I guess. I don't even know what to say to that, I don't even want to say anything to that.

"JJ, you're so big now too. You've sure grown up into a handsome young man."

"Thank you Mrs. Adair, I think I should let you guys talk some stuff out. Nice seeing you again." JJ squeezes my hand before he leaves.

"So mom, how long are you staying for? I mean you could leave now, maybe tomorrow."

"I'm staying for awhile, Dellah. I know you must not want anything to do with me, but I'm here now. I hope we can work things out."

"Go to hell mom." I storm out of the room and slam the door in her face. God why does she have to just show up like this.

JJ was waiting for me outside so I run and give him a big hug.

"Can we please get out of here, I don't want to be around her. Also can we finish our conversation another time, I don't think i'm in the right headspace to talk about that."

"Of course we can, now let's go find some gold."

JJ could always cheer me up just by being in the room, he really is my ray of sunshine.

-

"So what's new with everyone?" John B asks trying to make conversation in the car ride there.

"Well my mom showed up and told me my dad died, other than that nothing really."

Everyone just stares at me in silence.

"What? Are you okay?" Sarah asks, putting her hand on my shoulder.

"Dellah, you can stay in the car if you need some time. That's a lot to process." Pope says

"No it's fine, I don't really care. He sucks balls."

Nobody really knows what to say, so I try and break the awkwardness.

"Sarah, Kie you guys never heard JJ and I's rap song, do you want to now?"

"No!" John B and Pope yell in sync.

"Dellah, stop trying to change the subject. You can talk to us about this." Kie says, she's always my voice of reason.

"Guys I'm actually okay, like I can't be upset about someone who didn't care about me."

"Yeah right, you cried over that kid who didn't like you back in 5th grade." JJ jokes, so Kie hits him in the arm and gives him a 'not the time for that' look.

It's true, his name was Kaleb Bradley. Total douche name. I had the biggest crush on him in 5th grade and when I told him I liked him, he rejected me in front of everyone. JJ kicked his ass after school, my knight in dirty armour.

We arrive at the house and get our flashlights out.

"Wait, I wanted to say thank you guys. Seriously. Means a lot to me that you're here tonight." John B says.