TEN

Kie, Pope and I need to find JJ. We're all really worried about him and we know he wouldn't be at home right now.

We find him in the back of John B's place. There's pretty lights everywhere and a hot tub, which JJ is sitting in drinking a beer. We rush over to him and stare at him blankly.

"What did you do JJ?" Pope asks

"I got a jet going straight in my butt right now, Dellah I have a jet that could straight-"

"Do not finish that sentence, JJ. Did you buy this with the money you stole?" I fold my arms and glare at him.

"How much did this cost?" Pope asks

"Uh, pretty much all of it. Burned a hole right through my pocket.

"JJ you spent all the money in one day!" Pope yells

JJ's voice is starting to crack now, he's sounding like he's going to cry. Which is absolutely breaking my heart.

"I mean, we only live once right? Enough of this emotional shit, get in the cat's ass."

"In the what?" Kie asks

"Cat's ass, it's what I named the hot tub."

"Are you kidding me, you could've paid off restitution!" Pope yells

"Or literally given it to any charity!" Kie joins in on the yelling. I don't say anything because I can see the hurt in JJ's eyes.

"Or better yet you could've bought supplies to help us get the rest of the gold out of the well!"

"Okay well I didn't!" JJ stands up revealing all the bruises on his chest, at that moment my heart shatters and little tears trickle down my face.

"I got a hot tub for my friends! You know what no, screw friends, I got a hot tub for my family and for the love of my life."

"JJ" I say, barely able to get his name out of my mouth.

"No, stop being emotional, I mean it's sweet right." JJ is starting to cry now, so I get into the hot tub and pull him as close to me as I can.

"I just couldn't do it Del. I can't take it anymore, I was gonna kill him."

I run my fingers through his hair and let him cry into my shoulder. I try not to burst into a sob because I need to be his rock right now. Kie and Pope get into the hot tub and join us in the hug.

"I just wanna do the right thing."

"You did JJ, you cared for us. That's the right thing. We all love you so much."

JJ keeps crying for awhile. Pope and Kie end up leaving because they have to go home, so I stay with JJ in the hot tub.

"JJ I'm sorry for not going after you and not sticking up for you. I'm not sick of your shit at all, I know you just want people to stop pushing you around like your dad does. You're the strongest person I know JJ."

"Thanks Del, that means a lot to me. Do you think I can stay with you for awhile?"

"Of course you can, you're welcome anytime. I don't have my bike or anything, can we just crash here?"

"As long as I'm with you, I would crash anywhere."

I sit closer to him in the hot tub and lean my head on his shoulder, so he puts his head on top of mine. We intertwine our fingers.

"Hey JJ?"

"Yeah?"

"I mean if we ever have kids, we'll be the best parents ever right?"