NINE

Before we sell the gold today, I wanted to spend some time with Aunt Stacey to make sure she was okay after losing my father.

"Hey Aunt Stacey, how've you been holding up?"

"Not too good, Del. It's hard losing a brother, but I haven't seen him in years and I wish I could've done something about it. I'm sorry dear."

"Don't be sorry for anything, you have me and that's all we need. I love you so much."

"Love you too, my sweet niece. Your mom told me what JJ said to her, that kid has a heart of gold. Your mom also said that you two remind her of her and your father when they were younger, she said that just by seeing the way he looks at you she knows you're soulmates."

"Yeah that's really sweet and all, but I'm still not sure if I believe in the whole soulmates thing."

"You will one day."

"Maybe, anyway I gotta go. If you need me, find me and I'll come home."

"I should be okay, but thank you for caring. Now go have fun with whatever you've been up to lately. Crazy girl."

I laugh then get on my bike to meet up with the others."

-

Time to melt down the bar of gold and pawn it off for lots of money. JJ and I still haven't told anyone about us being together, better to wait until after we get some money.

We melt it down into an ugly lump and head off to the pawn shop. Kie and JJ start bickering and John B tells them to calm down.

"Easy for you to say, you're not the one who has to pawn this piece of shit off. How did I get this job anyway?"

"Cause you're the best liar." Pope says, it's true he is.

"I guess that's true, remember that bet Dellah and I had about the five beers? Well I lied about that, I only finished four." He laughs.

"What! JJ! I had sex with you over a lie? You dick." I can not believe he lied to me about that, but hey at least I technically won that bet.

"I did what had to be done."

"Okay enough you two, let's get going." John B says pushing us all in the shop. JJ goes to the lady at the till and the rest of us just pretend to look around.

"Good afternoon ma'am, I see you buy gold."

"That's what they sign say don't it."

"Well I sure hope you buy a lot of it, cause I'm about to blow your mind."

"I don't have much mind left to blow, so have at it."

"How you like them gold apples?" JJ puts the gold on the table and she looks at him skeptically.

JJ makes up this absolute bs story about his mom and the gold, so Kie and I look at each other and laugh. The lady goes back to talk to her boss so we wait patiently.

"I can give you 50 thousand." She says

JJ gets angry at that. "You think I walked in here not knowing the spot price? That's worth 140 thousand at least."

"Baby, this is a pawnshop. This ain't Zurich."

They continue to bargain the price until JJ gets us a good deal for it. He asks for it in cold hard cash, so now we have to go to the warehouse to get it.