Chapter 42 - Fatimah

The way I reacted that day after Professor Marwan asked about Yusuf, also the way I stuttered and told him Yusuf was fine, the professor knew something was totally not right. He knew about my relationship with Yusuf right from our old school days; so he expected a big explanation, not pretence.

"What happened, Fatimah?" He had asked.

"Nothing, sir" I had lied fidgeting my finger.

"No, something isn't right" He had said and thence persuaded me to tell him what was wrong and I reluctantly told him what had happened without making up false stories. "You know what, Fatimah?" He had asked, after hearing everything. "Meet me in my residence on 20th. V-Estate, House No. 15"

For what? I wanted asking but promptly changed my mind. He probably must be thinking about settling both Yusuf and I.

"That 20th falls on Saturday, right?" I had wrinkled a brow and he nodded. "Ok, sir"

"I will inform Yusuf as well" He had said.

"But why, sir?" I had queried. Of course I needed to know what he truly was up to.

"Until you come, Fatimah. And please don't come with your car, ok?" He had said and quickly hopped into his car. He didn't even allow me to say another word as he ignited the engine of his car and then drove away.

...

Few days later, it was already time for me to visit Professor Marwan. I didn't spend much time putting on makeup because it would be of no use since Yusuf and I were not dating anymore. He might have even gotten a new girlfriend already, who knows? Well, what does that even had to do with me? After all, we were now like strangers to one another!

"Mum, inazuwa" I said to my mother as soon as I Salaamed into her room. "I want to stroll"

"Stroll?" She moved her laptop aside and stared at me. "Ok, from where to where?"

"Around the Estate, can I?" I uttered.

"Well, since it is around the Estate..." I didn't allow her to finish talking when I ran over to her and gave her a warm hug from the back.

"Thank you, mum!" I pecked her cheek.

"Hmm, toh... but becareful" She said.

"I will, mum" I averted from her.

"Also, don't stay long!" She said.

"In Shaa Allah, mum" I said and left.

I had lied to her about where I was actually going to because... she would never ever let even my shadow visit a male lecturer talk more of my body. I was her only child, thus she didn't like me being around men alone. But what if I wasn't her only child, would it make any difference? No, and that's because I'm a female child and ought to be protected.

...

When I boarded a taxi to Professor Marwan's house, I knocked the gate and a lady around my age came out. She must be the professor's daughter, she looked so much like him. After having greeted her, I told her I came to visit her father. And as polite as she appeared, she asked me to come in. Thus, she ushered me to his chamber. A very big and breathtaking place. Indeed professors are something else.

"Dad, you have a visitor!" She uttered as she knocked the door of a - Personal Office? - I stared at the nameplate on the wooden door.

Immediately he told her to bring me in, she opened the door for me and I gently walked into the place. Thus, she left. Truth be told, I loved the place. It was more beautiful than his office at college. This one had the best...