Chapter 3 (Are we more than just friends?)

Chapter 3

I called Ryujin on my phone, I didn't delete her number. After all, she's my instructor and even if I didn't contact her for personal issues, it would be nice to have her number if I wanted to call in sick, or something.

After the third ring, she picked up. It sounded like she just woke up of bed or something. It was already 1pm, and she was still in bed?

"Hey, are you okay? Ryujin?"

There was silence. Just when I was about to hang up, Ryujin spoke,

"Look, I've been going through a tough time recently, and you and Yuna coming late for class doesn't help. Can I have a bit of time by myself, please?"

Ryujin never said "please" to me. I guess this was probably serious. I was worried for Ryujin, but I said,

"Fine, I'll give you some space. But you know that I'm always here for you right?"

I hung up immediately after that.

"Gosh, what were you thinking? Do you know how embarrassing that is? It's so mushy and clingy and ugh." I started bemoaning myself for not thinking properly and just shooting off my mouth. Now what will Ryujin think of me?

A few days later,

It was Saturday, and there was another dance lesson. I woke up, in a complete state of confusion and helplessness.

"I still haven't done my Science project yet, and it's due today! And there's still dance class today, I'm so screwed!"

Today was not a good day for me. As it was, I had already woken up late and as I was chomping down a sandwich for breakfast while doing a bit of my project, I nearly choked. My mom came over and asked,

"What's wrong, why are you in such a hurry?"

"I have to go for dance class soon, I'm already running late, and Ryujin will completely destroy me if I'm late for her class."

My mom was confused.

"Are you sure we're talking about the same Ryujin? Shin Ryujin?"

"Yes mom, I have no more time, I still have my project to do too! I can't waste time talking to you anymore."

"Well, I thought she was a perfectly charming and sweet girl. I remember that time when you and her were playing at the playground, and you pushed her off the slide and she got injured. I remember then she said she was going to marry you for sure! Ah, those memories when y'all were both kids..."

I was in a hurry and wolfed down the remainder of my sandwich, saying goodbye to my mom, I rushed out of the house. Seeing the bus to the studio approaching

Come to think of it, it's true, Ryujin and I were very close as kids. We always played together, and she just stayed next door. Of course, Ryujin's dad would never allow her daughter to associate with such a scallywag like me. By even letting Ryujin talk to my parents, he was already being very kind.

Ryujin's father was some high-ranking officer in the company, and my parents were just ordinary office workers. Of course he would think that I'm not good enough to hang around his daughter, but Ryujin always found a way to come over to our place. She would climb the wall between our houses at night and we would always stay in the room at night, playing games or reading books or simply just enjoying each other's company.

My thoughts were interrupted by the bus suddenly braking. I had arrived at the studio's bus stop. I glanced at my watch, before scrambling out of the bus. I rushed into the studio, half-expecting the class to turn around and look at me quizzically for being late. But I was wrong, the whole studio was empty and dark, as though no one was here.

I walked in, a bit apprehensive, a bit scared

"Hello, is anyone here?"

All of a sudden, someone hugged me from behind. I jumped up in fear, screaming profanities and shouting for help.

"Please don't kill me, I'm just an ordinary boy here for dance class."

The lights got turned on. I turned around and saw Ryujin, smirking confidently in my face.

"You're such a wimp, screaming for help just because of this..." her voice trailed off.

I swatted her arms away. "Geez, do you know you scared me real bad? I thought you were some serial killer, or robber or something."

She smirked, she looked as though she wanted to say something but then decided against it. She put her JBL Speaker on the floor, and she was about to start the lesson.

I had so many questions but the biggest one had to be: Why am I here all alone?

Ryujin probably also noticed my quizzical expression on my face and before I even asked, she said,

"Yo kid, you're here all alone because I told everyone else that practice today was cancelled."

WHAT? Did I just waste my precious time coming here when I could have used it for my project?

"But why me alone?"

"Because you're slowing everyone else down, idiot. You're so clumsy, everyone's getting affected because of you."

I was a bit upset, I had panicked and scrambled my way all the way here, thinking that there was a lesson, only for Ryujin to come and tell me it's all just a prank on me.

"Look, since you already came here, let's make it worth your while. I'll help you practice and refresh the choreography for So What again."

I really wanted to go back and do my project, "You're really childish, you know? Getting me here when I have more meaningful things to do, like my project. I'm leaving."

She grabbed my hand as I turned away, saying, "Please, just stay. I want you to stay here with me. I'll help you with your project after this. And didn't you like what we did the other day?"

When she said "the other day", tingles were sent down my spine. I remember it vividly-- how she kissed my forehead and how I felt after that. I was seriously thinking of taking up her offer. I had experienced a really special feeling that day and I didn't want to refuse Ryujin's offer anyway.

As though she could see my mind wavering, she pulled me closer towards her and away from the door.

The speaker started playing the music and I tried my best to follow her movements but of course, I couldn't. Ryujin took one step closer to me, and she said,

"I want you to follow my movements. Don't think of us as separate but as one unit, moving together, flowing together like water."

Our bodies were just inches apart, and I could feel the warmth of her body, she went over to the speaker and rewound the track, and then came and stretched out her hand, I grabbed it.

For the next 3 minutes, I danced with unimaginable ease, moving smoothly together with Ryujin. She looked up at me and as I stared into her eyes, I realised that this was one of the memories I would remember for life.