8

September 16, 2018. 

Jesus it's been over a year and a half. Sorry about that. Life said "screw you" and gave me things like responsibilities. But quarantine has changed that. I may or may not have rewatched all of voltron. Was it a good idea? probably not. But literally nothing i've ever done can really be considered a good idea. And I've been reading your comments. Yes, I read them. On the rare occasion that I reply it's because I finally open wattpad and my eyes bug out of my head at how many notifications I have. Today, I opened to 1.1k notifications. A new record for me. But now i'm here, and you guys want an update, so... I'll give you what you want. 

Kind of. 

You'll have to forgive me. This is a shameless self-promo.

What you are about to read (and I beg of you, please keep reading) is the first chapter of an original fantasy novel written by my friends and I called Lies of Lochwood. It is the first book in a trilogy, and something I have poured my heart and soul into for the past year. I wanted to give you, my biggest supporters, a chance to read this before it goes off to get properly published.

Heels clicked against the marble floors, sound echoing off of cold, pale walls. Early evening twilight cast a golden glow on a petite figure as she walked, head held high. As she passed by each window, light caught in the jewels of her tiara, throwing delicate pinpoints of light on the walls around her. A few steps behind the girl was an older woman, a maid, who kept to the shadowed parts of the hallway. It was a silent routine both princess and maid were familiar with.

Her cheeks were flushed a pale pink as she walked, blonde curls brushing her shoulders and a red gown pinched delicately between her fingers. Currently, Evelyn was on her way to the Grand Hall of the Palace. She knew little about the situation she was about to be thrown into, but she was too frustrated to question anything at this point. The head maid of the castle, Greta, gave her a sideways glance as Evelyn recalled the earlier conversation she had with her father and her maid.

"Princess? Princess Evelyn, darling? Princess, are you even listening to me?" Greta said, voice raising with each call of the princess's name. Her head snapped up as she quickly shifted to sit more properly in her chair.

"Sorry, Greta, I was--"

"Daydreaming? I know." She sighed. "If you want to rule the kingdom one day, you'll have to sit through things much more boring than my words."

"I didn't know there were such things," Evelyn snickered beneath her breath.

Greta raised an eyebrow. "There are taxes and laws, governments, ways to keep your family in power--"

"I understand; I get it!" Evelyn said, frustrated in tone. As if on cue, a butler's entrance ended the bickering. He gave a slight bow before addressing her.

"Highness, your presence is requested in the throne room," he said before swiftly exiting, leaving the two of them alone once again. Evelyn glanced at Greta, who merely shrugged her shoulders as she went to get the door.

Aside from the click of Evelyn's heels and the light swish of her dress on polished floors, the walk to the throne room was silent. She took a deep breath as Greta opened the door. Her father, King Walter, looked quite bitter upon her entry. Granted, that wasn't unusual, but it certainly wasn't comforting either. She walked in, giving him a slight curtsey and bowing her head. Greta closed the door behind Evelyn, leaving the two royals alone.

"Evelyn," He said. An involuntary shudder went down her spine at the mention of her name. "You are getting to the age where you should be courted, correct?"