23

Michael switched off the television, the news about Calvin company associating itself with illegal businesses to get where it was were all over the television that evening. He sighed. Winnie walked in the living room where Michael was sitting.

"Why don't you look happy seing the news, isn't this what you wanted?" Winnie asked him as she sat down on the couch beside him.

"Yeah it's what I wanted but.... I don't know why I'm not thrilled as I watch them. I thought it would finally get rid of the stings in my heart, but it doesn't."

"Of course it wouldn't Michael. You can't be too happy watching the person that was once your best friend suffer. That would have made you a psychopath!" she laughed. Michael couldn't help but laugh too.

"Thank you," he told her.

"For what?"

"For what you just said, for staying by my side, for not forgetting me, for everything."

Winnie smiled at him.

"Thinking of you and Mom were the only things that kept me going after I came out of comma."

He continued, "I occasionally came to see you and Mom. I secretly watched you two from a far."

"You did?"

"Yes, I wouldn't have been able to stay sane otherwise. How did you think I got to know you worked at Sharon and decided to invest in it? It's the only company I personally ever invested in."

"Wait....Yes!! I totally forgot about that. You did invest in my company as soon as I started working there. I just thought it was this Mr Henry I just know from the news and it was completely a coincidence he invested in it after I started working there. Oh my God, you did that for me!?"

"Of course, I would do anything for you"

"Why?"

"You do know why," Michael said as he look deep in her eyes. Winnie could hear her heart beating faster. She sheepishly tucked a strand of her hairs behind her ear.

"By the way how were you able to acquire those kinds of files concerning Calvin's company, I'm pretty sure they weren't easy to obtain," Winnie asked him after few seconds.

"Umm they were kind of easy actually, easy for a multi-billionaire's son Henry Martin," he laughed. "I  hired someone to secretly follow Calvin around and report everything to me. At first he looked clean but after a year of not giving up I found out he was associating himself with a group of a well know thugs in the city, their Boss's name is Andrew. So I knew something was fishy, why would he be associating himself with thugs if they weren't helping him do illegal businesses. So I walked myself to their hideout and after I introduced myself as Henry Martin and told them I would pay thrice of whatever Calvin was paying them for them to tell me everything they know about him and give me everything they have on him, they immediately agreed. You know thugs always have something on their clients, just incase you go against your words and refuses to pay them or if you try to rat them out, they threaten you with them to keep you in check. And another thing, thugs are only loyal to money. And Henry Martin is way richer than Calvin Borris."

He added, "They're also the same people who told me when you ran away, although they told me the next morning as they didn't think I would've been interested in it. Calvin hired them to find you asap and when they told me of his order, I ordered them to tell me first when they find you. Later one of them found out you took a night bus out of the city, he still didn't know exactly where you went as he only saw you in the cctv nearby and the workers there refused to give them any information. But I just asked myself where would Winnie go? And then one place came to my mind, it was a long shot but I was right. And that's how I found you."

"You do know me," she smiled "Thank you for finding me."

He smiled back.

"Now that you have dealt with Calvin, what will you do with Haroon?" She asked.

"I don't know. I also hired another investigator to follow Haroon but he lived a shitty life that I felt bad for him instead. From what I gathered I don't think he took any share of the money Calvin got from the gemstone, he wouldn't have lived that way if he did. Now the question is why? Could it be Calvin refused to give him his share? But if that was the case why would he choose to risk everything? Haroon was a ticking time bomb to him."

"He probably thought he wouldn't be able to put up a fight," Winnie shrugged "But it's true. Haroon life has been shitty. But that doesn't change the fact that he tried to kill you."

"I know, and I'm not saying it does. I just can't help but think karma already paid him back. Unlike Calvin who has been living a good life all this time."

"If you look at it that way it's true," Winnie agreed.

A moment later Martin walked in with Katherine besides him. Michael looked at them and smiled.

"I saw the news son, you did a good job," Katherine told him before going to him and hugged him.

"Yeah, you gave him what he deserved Son!" Martin said.

"I can never get used to you calling my son 'son'," Katherine exclaimed.

"If you think of it now he is the two of you son's. You're his mother and he is his father," Winnie added, amusement on her face.

"And he is our son," Martin grinned.

"Oh pleasee!!" Katherine exclaimed in horror.

"Why? I love the sound of it," Michael smiled.

Katherine looked at her son in shock, "I can't believe you three are ganging up on me!"

They all laughed.

"Oh I will go make dinner," Martin told them after he looked at his watch.

"Can I help?" Winnie asked.

"Of couse you can Winnie. Come let's make dinner together," Martin suggested. Winnie nodded and they all excitedly walked out of the room to the direction of the kitchen.

Michael watched her Mother as she watches them exiting the room lovingly.

"Do you love him?" Michael asked her.

"What?? Mike what are you saying!" she laughed awkwardly. "Stop joking around"

"But I'm not,"  Michael shrugged.

"Me and him are just friends, nothing more. I loved your father."

"You still didn't answer my question," He pointed out. "You do love him, don't you? Was it him you loved too back then?"

"No Michael, I  I...I don't know anymore," Katherine sighed before looking down on her hands. "The truth is I don't know. I loved Jeremy back then, I really did. But when Martin left us...left me back then I felt like he left with a part of me, I felt empty. He was always there, he was my safe place. I always thought he would be beside me, I never expected him to leave but suddenly one day he was gone and I didn't know anymore, maybe I did love him, maybe I didn't. I forgot about everything when I married Jeremy."

Michael looked at her mother, "What about now?"

"Now, now I...I...does it even matter? He doesn't even love me, all those years he didn't even think about contacting me back, I was the only one that still thought of him. I..it's pointless."

"What if he does love you? What if he did love you back then too? Would you be with him?"

"Mike...I.."

"You don't have to answer me. I just wanted to let you know that I'm okay with whatever you want, just be selfish this time and do what you want. Don't think of me. I can only be happy if you're truly happy,"

"Michael, I'm happy. All these years I was the happiest woman alive. I remained unmarried all these years because I wanted to."

"No you wouldn't if I wasn't there"

"Yes, If you weren't there. But you were there, you kept me so happy."

Michael smiled at her, deciding not to press any further.