Jotaro Brings You to the Beach

"Everyone, pair up. The assignment is to research a form of wildlife. Going outside and getting hands-on experience is encouraged, but not required."

You were doodling in your notebook, eyelids drooping with exhaustion, when the teacher's words caught your attention. You were definitely awake now.

As you looked around the room, classmates were already glancing at each other, planning to pair up. You tried to signal to people that you were alone but they shook their heads. Things weren't looking in your favor.

The teacher instructed the class to begin planning their projects. But as soon as people rose from their seats, the crowd in front of you parted like a wave. Jotaro Kujo planted himself in front of your desk.

You forgot how large he was. Feeling like a child in your chair, you squeaked, "Hey, Kujo."

He didn't respond, pulling over a chair to sit in. It groaned under his weight. It wasn't that he was fat by any means, but for a teenager, he was gigantic.

"Your family owns a private beach, right?"

Jotaro pulled out a cigarette and lit it, much to the teacher's annoyance. Smoking wasn't allowed in school anymore. Jotaro didn't care about rules and the teachers didn't approach him about it. You weren't the only one intimidated.

"Yeah, but how do you even know that?" you asked, feeling apprehensive. He had never even spoken to you, but now he was asking about your family.

"I heard you talking about it with your friends." He watched the smoke spiral up to the ceiling and you realized that he had striking green eyes. You never noticed, since he was always hiding his face behind his hat. "I would like to use it for our research project."

You thought back to when you last talked about your beach house. It must have been last year, when you and some friends stayed there in the summer.

"Either you have great memory, or you're a stalker."

"Nah, I'm not a fan of stalkers," he said, nodding towards a group of girls in the hall. They were giggling and pointing at him.

"Ah, that must be fun," you said sarcastically, watching them scamper off as he shot them a glare. "I mean, that seems like a good plan to me. Any reason you want to do this in particular?"

Jotaro shrugged, dropping his cigarette to the floor and crushing it with his boot. "I like sea animals."

He dragged his backpack to your desk and unzipped it. The last thing you would have expected to see was an encyclopedia on marine mammals but there it was, clearly well-loved. Doggy ears and sticky notes included.

You couldn't hold back a smile as you saw a dolphins happily leaping through waves on the cover. "I can't guarantee there will be dolphins there."

Jotaro looked up from the book, humming thoughtfully. "Well," he mused. "Only one way to find out."

~

A few days later, you waited at the steps of the beach house for Jotaro.

The day was blindingly sunny with a salty breeze blowing off the waves. There was no one else around since the beach was privately owned by your family. While you waited for Jotaro, you were grateful for your floppy sun hat and flowered sundress. If you had dressed with any more layers, you would have been sweating up a storm.

You didn't know how to feel about Jotaro working on a project with you. He had zero tolerance for anyone, especially females. You knew the only reason why he offered his partnership was because of the beach house. But you hoped he didn't find your personality unlikable.