Coach ride

It had been almost a month now that I've lived with Christine and Madame Valerius, or Muma Val as she insists I call her. Being Christine's nanny really hasn't been that hard since the most I do is just walk Christine to and from the opera house and take her to the park on Sundays. I also help Mama Val occasionally as she had recently been bound to a wheel chair from a nasty fall and is still very much getting used to it. I do enjoy my time with Christine and Mama Val, especially Muma Val as she is an incredibly interesting character but I really did miss Erik. Some days at work I can feel him watching me and every time I always go to say something, but I either lose the courage to or somebody comes into the room. Work has gotten a lot more full on now that Don Giovanni's opening is drawing close. Gertrude rarely comes in anymore and seems to get sicker, leaving me with a whole lot more work. I did find out where she lived and visited her with Christine last Saturday since she hadn't come into work the whole week and I was worried for her. She seemed very frail and tired. Talking seemed almost a chore for her, which was very different from the lady I had first met. I also talked to one her daughters, who was there looking after Gertrude telling me that she didn't believe that Gertrude would make it through this winter. The talk of her death chilled me, and I offered a quick assurance of prayers and help if they needed it before leaving them and returning home. 

"Nina are we ready to go?" Christine asked impatiently as she walked into my new room.
"Yep. Let's go." I replied as I put on my new cloak I had made to help me survive the winter. Despite it still being Autumn,  winter felt like it had come early as it was constantly cold, even if the sun was appearing to heat.
"Do you mind if my friends play with me in the workroom after ballet class again today?" She asked as we made our way down the chilly, bustling streets of Paris.
"Sure, but you have to stay out of the way if I'm making adjustments on performers. You remember last time with Carlotta." I warned. Her eyes went wide as remembered her fiasco with Carlotta when I had tried to repair Carlotta's dress for the magic flute. To put it simply, Jammes was trying to improve on her dancing skills while there was a lot of pins in Carlotta's dress. I should have stopped them knowing that disaster always strikes when Jammes tries to dance. Suddenly a coach pulled up beside us and the door opened. Inside was none other than Philippe.
"Alina, if your heading to the opera house I can take you there as I am going there myself ." He offered. I went to decline but Christine had already jumped in.
"Thank you." I replied softly as I made my way into the carriage. As soon as I was sitting down, Phillippe made a gesture for the coachman to start moving again. I couldn't help but be entranced at the beautiful interior of the coach with its mahogany engraved with a design that carried through the interior walls which  beautiful complimented by the plush velvet seats.
"Does your sister also work at the opera house?" Phillippe asked as the coach began moving.
"Christine isn't my sister." I corrected him. "I'm just working as a nanny for a little while for some shelter while I settle a dispute with my land lord."
"I hope she never settles the dispute and has to stay with me and Muma Val forever!" Christine pipped up, earning a chuckle from Phillippe.
"So what's bringing you to the opera house this morning?" I asked Phillippe, quickly changing the subject.
"As the Patron of the Opera house, I'm advising the managers on the annual masquerade ball." He replied nonchalantly. We continued on with our small talk until we reached the Opera house and we all had parted ways in order to get what we needed done.