Audition

"I can't do it." I trembled as I stared out of the secret passage through the mirror of the Prima Donna dressing room. I turned around, fully prepared to back out. Unfortunately I was met with Erik's towering body blocking the way back.
"Yes you can." He assured me "I'll be waiting here after your audition."
I took a deep breathe and deciding that it was better to get it over and done with, I stepped out if the mirror and headed towards the managers' office, where I was to audition. When I arrived I saw the two managers outside with a very unhappy Carlotta. She seemed to be the exact spitting image of how she was in the show during the "notes" scene, the only difference was that her outfit was different and she is clearly younger. I had never really noticed, but I realised that Carlotta seemed to be almost the same age as me. This realisation comforted me and my confidence grew just a tiny bit as Carlotta seemed just a tiny bit less intimidating. The managers explained to Carlotta and I how the auditions would go: Carlotta would go into the managers office and sing for the managers while I wait outside. Once Carlotta finished, I would have to go in and sing while Carlotta waited outside. After both of our auditions, the managers would discuss with each other who was best for the role while both Carlotta and I waited for their decision. After they had come to decision, they would let us now. It was all basic audition stuff, but I knew they were aiming their explanation at me, probably assuming I didn't know anything about opera. After they had explained, they took Carlotta inside. I had attempted to listen through the door to hear Carlotta's audition but I was unable to hear anything, which led me to believe that the room had been sound proofed. Unable to listen to the audition, I spent the next 3 minutes of Carlotta's audition pacing up and down the hall outside of the managers office while going through the lyrics of the song I was going to audition with. I had planed to perform The Jewel Song from Faust and I was beginning to fear that I would not remember what to sing when it came to my turn. Luckily my torture I was inflicting on myself came to an end when Carlotta exited the office. I noted a smug look on her face as I walked past her to enter the room. Surprisingly, I did not feel intimidated by her proud look, most probably because I had seen the same look in the musical before she sang horribly at Il Muto. I walked into the managers office, which was a large room, which was surprisingly mostly bare. All that was in the room was 2 mahogany desks with a large matching mahogany bookcase in the corner. The two managers were siting at there desks, so I decided to walk over to in front of desks. Once I was standing in front of them, one if them gave me a motion to sing. Understanding that they had nothing that they wanted to tell me, I immediately began to sing. I started off with a weak voice, letting my nerves get to me. I felt as if my anxiety was trying to tell me to stop singing and run out of the office. I almost gave into this whim, but my mind drifted towards Erik, and how disappointed he would be in me if I just ran from the audition . This thought made me realise that I wasn't just doing this for myself, but Erik as well. I felt my courage immediately swell up and my voice immediately improved. I sang as I had never sang before, I could barely recognise my voice. I felt as if it was someone else singing, like an angel was singing through. Hearing my own voice fueled my courage even more, and in turn my voice grow even more. I totally let go of myself and began to feel the music, moving my body to do actions that accompanied the song, motions that Marguerite herself would do in Faust. A part of me was also frightened as I sang, losing myself to the music. It was like I was no longer Alina but Marguerite. This part of me was filled with relief when I finally finished the song and returned to my normal state of being. I allowed myself to look at the managers, I could plainly tell through there faces that they shocked. I felt elation rise up through me as I continued to watch them recover from their shock. I was disappoint when once again, they did not talk to me, but rather just motioned for me to leave the room. I joined Carlotta outside, and waited for a couple of moments. We did bother talking to each other, as the mutual dislike was clear. I pretended not to be bothered by her death stare, which was actually very frightening and tried to focus on other things, such as the art on the wall.
"Well ladies, thank you for auditioning." One of the managers announced as they stepped out of their office. "It was a very tough decision, but Alina shall be getting the role of Eurydice. Alina we shall see you at your first rehearsal on the stage tomorrow at 8 am." The managers tried to quickly get back into the office after saying this, clearly trying to avoid Carlotta's reaction. However the managers weren't fast enough, as Carlotta was able to stop the door.
"How dare you!" She shrieked, clearly enraged by their decision. I decided not to stay and watch Carlotta's temper tantrum and instead, ran back into the Prima Donna dressing room. I couldn't wait to tell the good news to Erik, that I didn't bother closing the and locking the door of the Prima Donna dressing room before opening and entering the mirror.
***
Alina didn't notice the figure standing the shadow of the door to the Prima Donna dressing room. From that spot, the figure had a clear view of the mirror and watched intently as Alina opened the mirror and entered it. Having seen where the secrete passage was located and how it was opened, the figure left, satisfied with what they had learnt.