L'orfeo

I took a deep breathe before peaking though the curtain one last time. I found it scary that there was even more people in the audience then there had been last time I checked, which was 30 seconds before.
"It will get better." I quoted underneath my breath, trying to calm my nerves "you'll play the role splendidly."
"Stage fright?" Carlotta asked mockingly "My vocal coach said that only people who don't have the ability for the part get stage fright."
After taking almost a month of rude comments form Carlotta, I decided I couldn't stay silent any longer.
"I would like inform you personally Carlotta, that this is my first performance as leading lady and my last. This is not because of your bullying but because I am getting married and want to peruse a simpler life after I marry. If anything, your rudeness makes me want to stay Prima Donna." I felt confident as I stood up to Carlotta, the cool metal of my wedding ring comforting me and encouraging me. Carlotta, having nothing to clap back with, walked off in a huff. I was proud of myself for standing up to Carlotta, however in my heart I knew that I really hadn't said anything that was actually offensive. I heard the orchestra start the overture and I felt my heartbeat quicken. I decided to focus on the ring on my wedding finger in order to calm my nerves. I fiddled with the simple gold band with a diamond in the centre. A slight smile graced my lips as I thought about what would happen tomorrow. Erik hadn't been too happy that I wanted to wear my wedding ring to the show, reasoning that people would ask about it and that it might bring bad luck. I told him that a couple of hours made no difference and that it would comfort me greatly during the performance. The ring had been doing just that. The best part is that everyone had been so busy and focused on the performance to even notice that I was wearing a wedding ring. I suddenly heard the line that cued my cue, snapping me out of thoughts. I inch closer towards the stage, and as soon as I heard my cue, I exited the wings. Upon entering the stage, I began singing, like I rehearsed too, however, I couldn't help but I look up at towards box 5. I little part of me knew I wouldn't be able to see anything, knowing how box 5 worked, but I still looked just incase. I wasn't able to see Erik, but I was able to notice a little movement in the darkness of the box. I knew that the movement had been Erik and that he had  done it purposefully, so that I would know that he was here. Once again I felt the cool metal of my wedding ring burn against my skin and that, together with Erik in the audience, gave me strength and the desire to sing to the best of my abilities in order to make Erik proud. I also noticed that Phillippe was watching from box 4, which came as a surprise. I could see that he was watching the show intently and was on the edge of his seat, which confused me as we hadn't even gotten to the intense part of the opera. Everyone else else in the crowd was enjoying the show. I was shocked to see how much the audience loved my voice. They had made it especially clear at the end my first Aria when the whole opera house erupted in applause and cheers that lasted for several minutes. I was certain that Carlotta had never been as appreciated when she performed. As the performance continued on, I began to feel more thrilled with every line I sang and every clap I got in return. It felt as if the stage was the world in those few hours, and that world was enough. My nerves gave away as the performance progress and gave way to the thrill, and as it did so, I felt my voice grow much like it ha in the audition. The opera finally reached it's final moments and I threw myself into the role, singing with all my might and weaving in the despair and betrayal felt by Eurydice. I knew as my voice soared that I had surpassed every other time I had sung. My voice sounded more unearthly and angelic than I had in any lesson, any rehearsal, and even my audition. I left the stage for a couple of moments so the Orpheus could have his final moments before the opera ended. When Orpheus finished his last note, the audience erupted in a deafening applause. I returned in order to take my bows and as soon as I stepped back on stage, hollers and cheers were added over the applause. I also notice that there was not a single dry eye in the audience, not even Phillippe had been spared. The only person that I didn't know if they were crying or not would be Erik, but based off how many times he cried in the book, I assumed that he was. After my curtain call, I left to go to the Prima Donna room and get out of my costume and stage makeup, but I was intercepted by the managers.
"What a triumph, Miss Chevrolet!" One of the complemented me.
"Thank you sir." I replied politely, attempting to make my way around them, what to get back to Erik. Unfortunately, they blocked my way.
"You enthralled the whole audience with your voice." Piped up the other manager "We have many patrons that would like to talk to you." I could see why the managers had been sucking up to me. They wanted me to talk to the patrons because the patrons wanted to meet me. I couldn't believe that they were just trying to use me in order to please the patrons, which would give them money from the patrons.
"I'm so sorry, but I unfortunately have made plans already." I declined as politely as possible.
"Surely those plans can wait a while." One of the managers argued "these are the most influential people in Paris." I quickly realised that there was no way that the managers would let me not talk to the patrons.
"Fine. Just let me get changed out of my costume." I sighed, pretending to give in.
"Excellent. We will be waiting outside of your dressing room with patrons to introduce you to." The other manager declared. The last thing I wanted to spend the night before my wedding was talking to stuck up patrons for the whole night. I made my way to the dressing room and locked the door behind me. I quickly scrubbed off my over the top stage makeup and changed into a lighter dress. Although the dress I changed into was nice, it was definitely not something you would wear to impress upper class patrons. Once I had finished getting changed, I did not head out of my dressing room, like the managers wanted me to, but instead I headed towards the mirror. I opened it up and stepped inside, closing the door behind me. I made my way down to the house, meeting Erik on my way.
"I was just coming up to see you." Erik commented as he walked towards me.
"I probably would've stayed in the dressing room if the managers weren't pushing me to socialise with the patrons." I told him, as we both made our way back to the house.
"You were did splendidly Alina. I'm am so proud of you. I'm certain that the whole audience heard the sounds of heaven through your voice." He complimented.
"I still can't believe that it's over." I sighed.
"I can't believe that I am getting married tomorrow." Erik added.
"Neither can I." I agreed as we entered the house "especially to the the phantom of the opera!"
"It just occurred to me that the managers will think that you have disappeared when they find your dressing room empty. " Erik revealed. "What if they think that I did it?"
"I can already see the headlines now: 'Opera ghost steals soprano'" I laughed.
"Well they wouldn't be wrong." He smiled slyly "I did steal your heart."
"I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. I stole yours." I pointed out teasingly.
"How about we agree that we both stole each other's hearts?" Erik negotiated.
"Fine." I gave in. There was silence for a little bit and I noticed that Erik was concerned about something.
"What's wrong Erik?" I asked gently, putting my hand on his shoulder.
"I'm not so sure about the wedding." He revealed. I immediately became alarmed. Did he not love me anymore? Why would he say that I stole his heart if he didn't love me anymore? My alarm must of shown on my face because Erik tried to comfort me.
"It's not you Alina." He assured me "it's just. You could do so much better than me. You deserve someone much better than me."
"No, Erik. I don't deserve you. Your always so patient and understanding. I don't care if you think I can do better, because I want you. I want to marry you, Erik." I preached, before going in for a kiss. Erik kissed me back but after a short time, he pulled back, looking ashamed of himself.
"It's not just that." His voice wavering as he spoke "what it if my children, our children, look like..."
"You?" I finished for him "how shallow do you think I am? I wouldn't care if our children look like you. Honestly, I want them too, so that I can raise them not to be ashamed of there face and parent them the way your parents should have."
A small smile appeared on his face, making it clear that my words had comforted him. He went to say something, but before he could, the door of the house swung open.