CHAPTER 22

"Speech! Speech! Speech! Speech!"

"Look at unnie getting shy!" Yongsun almost didn't hear Wheein over the shouting crowd.

"Look at her face. He ears are turning red," the older girl grinned affectionately.

"She's going to be so awkward," Hyejin conspiratorially whispered to them, excitement buzzing.

All National Team members and staff were granted two free days before they left on Friday. Unbeknownst to Moonbyul, her mother had taken the athlete's time away from home to plan a going away party and invited Yongsun, Wheein, and Hyejin, among other family and friends. To help Park Kyungah out, the three offered to keep Byulyi occupied for the day so that the food could be prepared and guests could arrive. The story they gave the blonde was simple: they were traveling to Bucheon to spend the day with her. While they'd take the train there, they insisted that Byul would have to pick them up from the train station and show them around her hometown. Yongsun was surprised by how easy it was to get Byulyi to agree. She put up no fight. "Can't wait," she had said, "I've missed you three. There's a lot to do here, so we'll have fun." Cute.

After the sightseeing and eating, Yongsun took note of the time before suggesting Moonbyul take them to her home so they could greet her mother, father, and sisters. Once she crossed the threshold, the soon-to-be-senior was bombarded with hoots and hollers from the mass of people congregated in her parents' home. That's how Yonsgun, Wheein, and Hyejin ended up in the corner of the Moons' living room, giggling amongst themselves as they watched Byulyi struggle to find words for the speech that her family and friends were demanding.

"Byul-ah, say something to everyone that came here for you," the athlete's mother gently urged.

"Um . . . wow," Moonbyul chuckled bashfully. "I didn't expect this at all. Thank you everyone for coming to see me off. Each of you has supported me in some way, shape, or form, so this is as much an accomplishment for all of you as it is for me. Hoping our team can make you all proud." The affectionate smiles at the athlete's words evolved into entertained laughs as Byul scurried off to Yongsun in seek of refuge. It came as a surprise to the older girl, too, who was whisked away from Hyejin and Wheein, up a flight of stairs, and into a bedroom at the far end of the floor.

Yongsun took a few moments to do a quick scan of the room as Moonbyul promptly shut the door before faceplanting onto the bed at the center of the room. Trophies. Tons of trophies and medals adorned the desk and walls of the room; other than that, everything was simple and neat. The bed was made—up until the Byulyi ruined it—clothes were put away, and the periwinkle walls contributed to the space feeling a few degrees cooler than it actually was.

"Why are we up here?"

"Because I needed to get out of there. It was so embarrassing."

"That still doesn't explain why I'm up here."

"You were the first one I saw, so I took you with me. You knew, didn't you?" Byul asked. With her head still face down, the question came out muffled, but Yongsun got the gist of it.

"Obviously," she walked over and sat precariously at the bed's edge.

Turning to lay on her left side, Moonbyul looked up at Yongsun through her lashes as she pouted, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Why would we tell you? Your mom wanted it to be a surprise."

"Now you're scheming with my mom, huh?"

"Oh please. You're a drama queen."

"I'm not. She really likes you."

"Happy to hear it. I like her, too. She's very sweet." It was true. Yongsun didn't know why Park Kyungah was so kind towards her, but she decided to accept the affection and not stare a gift horse in the mouth.