The Point of No Return

Frankie felt her phone vibrate for the umpteenth time against her thigh, steadfastly refusing to even look at the caller idea as she blew her nose into the crumbled, sandpaper-like tissue. The terrible quality had pulled and scratched at the skin around her nose, undoubtedly turning it red, and she knew Cleo would tsk at the sight. She leaned her head back against the headboard of her bed, trying to get her mind off the replaying image of Clawd and Draculaura kissing in the middle of the field, but it was seemingly impossible.

Seeing her crush kiss someone else so passionately had made her heart shatter into a thousand pieces in her chest, and she'd had to rush off quickly before someone could notice the tears pooling at the corners of her eyes, threatening to spill in rivers down her face. She could've never imagined that heartbreak could hurt her so deeply, scarring her irreparably and punching a hole in her chest that made it hard to breath, that made it hard to think.

She didn't even know how to describe the feeling that built in her chest; it was as if she was drowning and falling at the same time, struggling to hold onto some semblance of reality as she broke completely, crumbling to the ground as sobs swept noisily past her lips. She'd seen that in the movies too, but she'd never imagined that it would hurt as much as it did in that moment. Her mind lingered on the way their lips pressed together, on how Draculaura's hands clutched Clawd's shoulders as if he were her lifeline, on how his arms wrapped around her waist, torturing her, tormenting her.

Through her tears she could hear the loud cheering and music that most undoubtedly came from the start of the Spirit Rally, but despite having been so excited before, she simply couldn't bring herself to care about it any longer. Her mind was too focused on other matters, on multiplying her heartache times ten as every fantasy she'd ever thought of with Draculaura swept past her mind in startling clarity, only Clawd had replaced her figure. God, she clutched at her hair, dropping her head between her knees as she let out a shaky breath, how do people deal with this? How do I deal with this?

She thought that maybe she should distance herself from the peppy vamp, but immediately shook the thought from her head. No, she couldn't do that. Despite the hurt it would bring her, she needed her best friend in her life, and certainly didn't want to push her away and have the only-just-healing ghoul lose another beast friend for reasons she wouldn't even know, much less be able to understand.

But how was she supposed to stand by as the girl she loved started a relationship with the person she had pushed her towards? God, why had she done that!? Why hadn't she just kept her big mouth shut back when Heath had first asked her to the dance? Maybe if she had, this wouldn't be happening to her right now; Clawdeen would still be Draculaura's friend, Clawd would only be a passing wave in the halls, and maybe she could've even gotten the vamp to love her back.

She groaned as her phone vibrated again, opening the group chat she had with Draculaura and Cleo and sending off a bullshit text that she hoped the two girls would buy.