Chapter 19

"He was what?!" Awa exclaimed in a flash of fury. "You let a spy into the Omaticaya clan?!"

Grace shook her head with a bitter chuckle. "Quaritch got to him, promised him nice things in exchange for information. Should have seen it coming"

The Na'vi stood to her full height and squared her shoulders with a snarl on her face. "How long have you known?" She asked, her voice deadly calmed as she stared at the other woman right into her eyes as she stared at Grace fidgeting in her seat.

"I've had my suspicions for-"

"How long have you known?!" Awa screamed at the older woman, tears of betrayal building in her eyes. "Why would you keep something like this from me?"

"If you would let me finish you would know!" Grace shot back, her voice loud but not yet a shout. "I know you feel betrayed but I couldn't be sure untill we caught him in the act. From what we know he's been giving Selfridge and his band of baboons information about the hometree and other military related facts. Now that I removed him from Quaritch I'm hoping that he's going to stop it"

Awa swiped off everything on the desk besides her with an angry yell, her heart was clenching and she couldn't look the at the other woman anymore. " Of course I feel betrayed, I just found out that both my best friend and Jake has been lying to my face for months." She chuckled bitterly and wiped a tear off her cheek. "But that's not what's hurting the most, can you guess what it is?"

Grace shook her head with a closed mouth and wide eyes that were glinting with unshed tears. "No"

"The fact that you've lied to me about the fact that Jake is a spy for the man who raped me, who abused me, who stalked me for months while you did nothing." Awa cried out, her voice cracking with emotion and her eyes were wide with the pain and betrayal she was feeling. "I-I can't be here" She sobbed and ran out of the room, ignoring Grace calling out after her.

                                                                                            ...

Awa cried for the entire ride back to the hometree. Her tears never stopped running like waterfalls down her cheeks and her heart ached with sorrow. She was most likely overreacting a bit but she was so tired of seeing her life fall apart around her. She was so tired.

The other Na'vi stared at her as she galloped past them, sniffing and sobbing on her pa'li. The children stopped their plays to stare at her, the elders threw a glance then looked away.

"I need to talk to Neytiri" She whispered to herself. "She needs to know"

Awa didn't find Neytiri anywhere but she did find Ngeha, who was sitting peacefully on a rock in front of the small pond that children are trained how to fish in. Small miniatur fishing nets and rods laid discarded around Ngeha's rock. Said Na'vi was braiding a big fishing net with fast practised movements, the scene making Awa's heart clench in pain because she knew she was going to ruin the tranquility.

She jumped off Khan and stumbled slightly before she walked over to the Na'vi on shaky legs that threatened to give out under her at any time. She needed to tell her and she needed her to talk her through all that was going on. Awa desperately needed Ngeha's advice.

"Awa" Ngeha gasped out when she saw the former dreamwalker walk up to her while crying her eyes out. "What is it? Is something wrong?"

"It's Jake" Awa spoke through her tears, trying to keep her voice steady and loud.

"What are you talking about, Awa?" Ngeha asked, dropping the net and walking towards Awa. "What did Jake do?"