Chapter 27

Awa turned around at the sudden silence that fell over the Omaticaya clan. Her eyes widened almost comically when she saw the figure walking towards her. Her bow fell to the ground with a harsh clank and her jaw dropped.

Grace walked out of the forest with shy steps, just barely gracing the ground before she moved on. The scientist was wearing her normal outfit when in Avatar form and her hair was braided the same way as always; all of the hair in one big braid except for a few of them that were braided into smaller parts, decorated with red pearls and framing her face. She had a beaming smile on her face and that sparkle that Awa had only seen in pictures was back in her eyes, which lit up her entire face.

"Grace" Awa forced out, her voice hoarse and throaty. Her limbs were frozen, her feet refused to move and her chest tightened. She never thought she would get to see the day that Grace was allowed back in the clan. She was ashamed to admit that she had only asked the Olo'eytukan once and never brought it up with anyone except for Tsu'tey again.

Grace laughed, a real belly laugh that was bordering hysterical. "Jake asked them to let me back in. It's amazing, isn't it?" She answered Awa's unspoken question and shook her head after finishing her sentence. "I can't believe I'm back here"

Awa slowly took a step forward, her breath still stuck in her throat while staring at the scientist. "I-, I never thought they would allow you back here"

The dreamwalker laughed and threw her arms around the former human, squeezing her tightly and even shaking her a little. "Neither did I. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go see some old students" Grace winked at Eywa and walked, no skipped, over to where a bunch of Na'vi children stared at her with wide eyes. The children kept on staring at her the closer she got and as soon as Grace fell on her knees they were onto her, touching her hair and bombarding her with questions.

Awa looked at the scene fondly before a warmth enveloped her right hand. The familiar hold that belonged to her mate tugged at her gently and she followed the movement without tearing her eyes off Grace and the children.

Her eyes flashed over to Tsu'tey when he snarled and the hold on her hand tightened almost painfully. "What is it?" Awa asked him, concern seeping into her voice.

"Come. I'll explain later" He replied through clenched teeth and a deep frown on his face that had a hint of pain on it. Awa's eyes flickered around his face and her eyes widened slightly when she realised what was wrong. The anger mixed with old, but never forgotten, trauma and the wince of his lips told her all she needed to know.

                                                                                             ---

The two sat down on a branch high up in a tree after Tsu'tey practically had to drag her up there. Awa had never been a climber, never learnt how to do if good even after all the training she and Atxa went through. She still felt bad for being such a bad student but still felt proud over how much she learned in such a short amount of time.

"Want to tell me what all that was about? I know you don't like humans but that was a bit extra, even for you" She gave him a pointed look and rubbed her ribs as if remembering their first meeting. Tsu'tey winced and shuffled when he noticed her actions, his heart clenching painfully at the memory.

"Seeing her reminded me of things." He vaguely answered and stared right forward, making sure that not one part of him touched her. "Of the school and the past."

Awa's hands twitched in an urge to touch him but she reigned herself in. Instead she opted to just stare at him and try to read all the facial cues tp learn what he wasn't telling her. "Do you want to talk about it?"