Prologue

((At long last, I'm back to writing fanfics! Another story about my favourite BG zombie, Alonzo~ This is the backstory to his family and his parents' divorce. If you're not familiar with the BGZ, I'd recommend you at least read the chapters of Limelight about Alonzo, Zephyr, Zach and/or Roz, and Since We Broke Up to get all the context you need. The prologue in particular contains spoilers for Since We Broke Up!

As always, here is a YouTube playlist where you can find the fic trailer edited by my lovely friend Kokinu09:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbVNF5KuY3tkwtWZfGm9Jrm8Mr2-gOTpC

New songs will be added to the playlist on Wednesdays, new chapters on Thursdays~))

[TW: this story will include references to emotionally abusive parenting and queerphobia]

Prologue theme songs: The Wall In My Head from Everybody's Talking About Jamie

~ Just one tiny thought, started out so small, but the thought made a brick, and the bricks made a wall ~

Five years ago, Alonzo left for college, heartbroken.

"I didn't mean it like that!"

"It doesn't matter what you meant, it's over!"

Four months later, his heart was mended.

"I am never gonna risk losing you again, you hear me?"

Two years ago, he made a promise.

"After you're done with college... I want to move in together."

"Are you serious?"

"I miss you. I don't want to have to keep missing you. Even if you came back to Zombie Town."

One year ago, he graduated.

"Mom... I don't know..."

"Just take it. You can figure out the rest yourself."

And every day since then, Alonzo would stare at Zephyr, reach into his pocket, then reconsider. Not yet.

Not quite yet.

"Mn..."

Al stirred from his thoughts as he felt Zephyr shift beside him and blindly reach out to pull him closer. He wasn't quite awake yet and Al smiled, running a hand through his curly hair. The past year had flown by and waking up next to his boyfriend, in their bed, in their home, still felt like a dream; everything was moving forward, and yet Al felt... stuck.

Not stuck in the relationship. Not in that sense – not in the sense that he couldn't find a way out. Honestly, it was the opposite. He wanted to find a way in. Further in.

The breakup a few years ago turned out to be a good thing. They had learned to be apart, be independent, but they also learned why they needed each other. They grew up. When they got back together, they treated it almost like an entirely new thing. They took things fairly slow this time, unlike when they were teenagers. (OK, so that first night after they got back together wasn't exactly "taking it slow", but aside from that.) They figured out how to navigate a life together where they weren't depending on each other all the time. Before finding their own place just outside of Seabrook (Zephyr wanted to finally get out of Zombie Town and Seabrook itself was a little pricey), Al managed to get his old job at the music store back, where Zephyr had been working in the meantime, while he was slowly navigating his way to his solo career. They didn't always have the same shifts, but that was fine by them.

Still. He was stuck.

Distracted, Al hadn't realised that Zephyr was now fully awake until there was a hand gently rubbing his forearm. He stirred, his eyes flickering up to meet Zeph's, and waited for him to speak.