Chapter 3

[[The songs A Friendly Goodbye, Much More Beautiful Person and Love Sick Stomach Ache featured in this chapter are all by Bowling For Soup]]

((Zephyr has entered the story!

Some notes:

1. I was trying to come up with more zombie foods and so far, the only new thing I've got is torn muscle, which I'm imagining is like pulled pork made out of tofu or something

2. Back when I found the production designer's website and saw him call the Zombie-tongue alphabet "Zombese", I was gonna just ignore that since it's only ever called Zombie-tongue in Z1, but then in Z2 Addison was carrying a book that said "Zombese", I've come to the conclusion that while the language itself is called Zombie-tongue, Zombese is the name of the written alphabet

3. I didn't have a specific movie in mind for what Al watches in this chapter. Imagine it as whatever you want

4. The songs listed above are on the playlist, but they're not theme songs so that's why they're not in the list below. They're just used in the story))

Chapter 3 theme songs: Ugly In This Ugly World from Everybody's Talking About Jamie, July 18th from Blood Brothers, I'm Not That Smart from The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee and Catalyst by Bowling For Soup

"Wait. The day we first met, when you were a little kid, your dad kicked you out of the house?"

"Yup."

"Gaz, I already hated him, but I didn't know he'd go that low! He didn't do anything to you when your mom took you home, right?"

"He got mad. But she stopped him before he could do anything..."

~ For the kid who came out wrong, there's a place where I belong, far from your father's eyes, lost in your mother's lies ~

His mother had snuck out of the house to go find him when his dad was distracted and upon returning, he confronted them. He yanked Alonzo from behind her by his wrist and checked him for any kind of marks, but there was nothing. Even with zombie healing, there would have been evidence of the skin repairing itself; a thin line, a small flake that hadn't quite moulded back into place, a circle of slightly darker grey that had been a bruise only minutes before. He found nothing of the sort, and that was when he threatened to do it himself.

Alonzo flinched but Hazel grabbed her husband's arm as he raised it and managed to pull him away. An argument ensued, which then woke up Lindzey, and of course, Hazel got the blame for making her cry. While his dad's attention was elsewhere, Alonzo had taken the chance to run upstairs and hide away in his bedroom.

He guessed his dad decided it would be a waste of time to come find him.

– SOMETHING HE SAID –

"You didn't finish your breakfast," Hazel noted one morning as she picked up Alonzo's bowl from the table, still half full with brain flakes, "Aren't you hungry?"

Alonzo was still sitting down, leaning forward with his chin in one hand. His dad had already left the room to go get ready for work, but he still took a quick glance back into the hall just to be sure he wasn't there. He shook his head.

"I don't like brain-flavoured stuff..." he mumbled and Hazel frowned.

"I thought you did," she hummed and he just shook his head again. Lindzey was also still at the table beside him, her eyes fixed on the bowl. Hazel noticed, "Linka, ru quag?" You want it? The flakes were a little soggy now but otherwise fine. Lindzey nodded and reached out for the bowl, while Hazel quietly sat down next to Alonzo and waited for him to speak. She knew he had something more to say.