Chapter 8

((Here we are, at the end of Alonzo's story...! The epilogue will come next week, and we'll see exactly what he's been waiting for. It's time~ ;) ))

Chapter 8 theme songs: Bright New Day from Blood Brothers and Begin Again by Taylor Swift

"It's amazing that you did that. You got yourself and your mom out of that."

"I wasn't the one taking the risk, though. That was all Mom. I just gave her the motivation she needed."

"And she wouldn't have done it if you hadn't."

"..."

"... What about Lindzey?"

"What about her?"

"Why didn't she go with you?"

~ For the first time, what's past is past ~

Before Hazel could do anything else, she had to earn the money. For the divorce itself, for a house elsewhere in Zombie Town, and to start off her new life with just her children. According to Luiza, as long as her husband was making more than her, he would have to pay her alimony, which would help once everything was final, but until then, she needed to find a job. And one that he wouldn't know about.

He left right after breakfast most days, and got home early in the evening, so she couldn't work late. And she had to get the kids to school before anything else, then be there to pick them up as well, so her time was even more limited. But a time limit placed on her by school gave her an idea. It was only the jobs in Seabrook – working for the humans directly – that required zombies to be properly qualified to any degree. In Zombie Town, it was about experience. Jobs in Zombie Town were about day-to-day life; food, cleaning, basic education, childcare. Clothing was provided by the government, of course, and the containment facility's hospital was all they had for (official) medical care.

When she dropped Alonzo off at school the day after talking to Luiza, Hazel quietly beckoned his teacher, Zabrina Tod, over.

"Hazel! You don't normally hang around. Is there something wrong?"

"Not exactly. I just had a question. Do you know if the school has any jobs available?"

"As what?"

"Anything. At all."

– SOMETHING HE SAID –

Alonzo was curious about something, and he knew he couldn't get the answer directly from the source; he'd tried. But he knew someone else had the information he was seeking.

He spotted Zane helping his mom at the cauli-brains stand when he was headed to Zephyr's house one day and stopped. Zane would probably be happy to take a break. He looked pretty bored. Alonzo made his way over.

"Hey, Zane?"

Zane looked up and leaned over the counter as he came to stand on the other side, "What's up?"

Alonzo glanced at Zane's mom, then also leaned over and lowered his voice, "You know how you've been talking to Zephyr?"

The question clearly caught him off guard, and he frowned, cautious, "Yeah...?"

"Did he tell you who he's got a crush on?"

Zane paused and his eyes shifted, "Yeah. He did."

Alonzo waited but he wouldn't say anymore, "So who is it?"

"I can't tell you," Zane said with a shrug.

"But I'm his best friend!"

"That doesn't mean he has to tell you everything."