Chapter 1

((And the story begins...))

Chapter 1 theme songs: Tied Together With A Smile by Taylor Swift, Starring Role by Marina, and If I Met Myself Again from Everybody's Talking About Jamie

"She told me a lot about before I was born, but she never said much about the wedding or anything. Just that it already felt wrong. Then it was all downhill from there."

~ I guess it's true that love was all you wanted, 'cause you're giving it away like it's extra change ~

Hazel Morgan.

Hazel Morgan.

" ... "

She let out a sigh.

Mrs Morgan.

Wasn't that supposed to make her happy? Having his name? Being his wife? She absentmindedly rubbed her thumb over her wedding ring.

Yes...

Yes. Of course she was happy. What was she thinking? She loved him, right? And he loved her. He said so. They were having a child together, for Z's sake. Sure, it wasn't planned, but what did that matter? They wanted to keep the baby. Not that zombies had much of a choice, but still. They had made that decision. Together. As a couple. A married couple, as of today. This was the start of their new life together. Their new family.

Of course Hazel was happy.

She was happy.

She was.

– SOMETHING HE SAID –

She wasn't.

They were never meant to be serious. This was never meant to be a serious relationship. Hazel knew that to be a fact. She hadn't really planned to commit to this man, and he definitely wouldn't have even considered committing to her, but a zombie would struggle to manage as a single parent. A zombie would struggle to give their child any semblance of stability alone. So she lied to herself. And she married him. And she pretended she was happy. She pretended to be in love.

At least she would love her baby. At least, if she had to live this lie with her husband, she could find something good in it. And no matter what, no matter who this child turned out to be, no matter how much she'd have to go through, she would love them.

He put in the absolute minimum amount of effort to help her, with his only reason for doing anything at all being that the child was his – especially once they found out it would be a boy. Except he said it like it was his property, not a living thing that he had a responsibility to raise and care for, like Hazel would take ownership of the baby if he didn't stake his claim. And one day, she dared to point out that, as the father, he could at least try to start acting like it before the baby arrived. There was a pause and Hazel faltered at the sight of his narrowed eyes. He leaned towards her across the table, almost threateningly. Almost...

"I'm the father whether I act like it or not," he said firmly, "I have a right to that kid."

"A right?" Hazel repeated, her timid voice far too quiet to have any sort of impact, despite her best efforts, " You-"

He cut her off, "It's my job as the father to make the decisions," he pointed first at himself, then at Hazel, "It's your job to follow my rules."

Hazel gulped, took a breath and tried to raise her volume a little, "We're going to raise him together. As a family." She wasn't sure how convincing she was, but she urged herself to believe it – that they could actually be a family. If she couldn't believe it, how was she ever going make him?