Epilogue

((Here we are~ Alonzo has finished his story. Now he has a very important question for Zephyr...

Make sure you're keeping an eye on my Tumblr, unusual-ly.tumblr.com, because I'm going to be sharing something new about Alonzo and Zephyr in a little while!))

Epilogue theme song: Mary's Song (Oh My, My, My) by Taylor Swift

~ A few years have gone and come around ~

For a brief moment, all was silent.

All this time, Zephyr had thought he knew everything about Alonzo. He had said it so many times – he knew him better than anyone. But he had never known the full extent of the abuse he'd suffered under his father's roof, or how his mother had basically had her life taken from her until she could work up the courage to take it back, or that they'd been pretty much forced to leave Lindzey behind when they left. No wonder Al saved all his anger for his dad. And no wonder he had wanted so badly for Lindzey to move in with him and Hazel. He still never got to experience living fulltime with his sister again – she had finally gone to live with her mom once she was eighteen and attending college in Seabrook, and that was only about a year ago.

"... I'm sorry you had to go through all that..."

"I got out of it..."

Zephyr didn't know what else to say, or if he should even say anything at all, so he just kept his hand carding through his boyfriend's hair, leaning against him in comfort, as he stared at the floor. Meanwhile, Alonzo was looking at him. And wondering...

... Is now the right time...?

Zephyr didn't notice him moving right away, not until he was pulling his closed fist out of his pocket. His head was nestled in the crook of Al's neck and he could feel his pulse; his heart was beating so fast it almost felt like a human's. He suddenly sat up. Alonzo was no longer looking at him, instead he kept his gaze fixed on his hand, still closed around the mystery item. He closed his eyes and took a breath, then revealed what he was hiding. It only took a few seconds for Zephyr to recognise it. Z, it had to have been over ten years since he's actually seen it. Not since the divorce.

"... Your mom gave that to you...?"

"... Yeah."

"But... it was from your dad..."

"Yeah," Alonzo nodded slowly. He was starting to regret his decision.

The ring in his hand was old and worn, dull after years in a dark drawer in his mother's bedroom, just a simple, cheap band of metal. Not perfect and polished, certainly not adorned with a glistening diamond or some other gemstone like the humans always seemed to have, and even a few zombies nowadays. He couldn't bring himself to look back at Zephyr yet, so he picked up the ring between his thumb and forefinger and held it up.

"She gave it to me at graduation. We were talking about us moving in together, and how serious my life was getting," he paused, his eyes suddenly unfocused, staring into the distance as he remembered their conversation.

"I wanted to give you something."

"... Your wedding ring? Mom, why do you even still have that? Dad gave that to you!"

"I saved it. I always thought it deserved a second chance. It was meant to be a symbol of love, and there was never any there."

"Mom... I don't know..."

"Just take it. You can figure out the rest yourself."

Now, Zephyr felt his own heart beat; just a single thud in his chest, but it left him almost breathless. He leaned just the slightest bit closer and when he spoke, his voice was nearly silent, but encouraging. Eager.

"Why'd she give it to you...?"

He was pretty sure he knew the answer. It took a moment for Alonzo to reply, though, still hesitating. About fifteen years ago, he had been told that this was wrong.

"She raised me to be better than him, you know? Be a better husband to someone someday. Maybe even a better father. Just... better. And this ring should actually mean something better..."

He could absolutely be better. Zephyr had no doubt. He knew, now more than ever, after everything Alonzo had told him, that he was a far, far better person, in any and every sense of the word, and that this ring would be far better suited...

"If there's something you wanna ask me," Zephyr urged and Alonzo met his eyes, mirroring the small smile he saw on his face, "Go ahead and ask."

The two of them sat there, side-by-side beneath the window in their bedroom, looking into one another's eyes, with Alonzo's free hand having subconsciously found Zephyr's at one point or another. There was no other build-up, no grand gestures, not even getting down on one knee. Just five short words.

"Zephyr, will you marry me?"

Five words, and Zephyr's face broke into a wide grin as he pulled Al into a long kiss, only breaking it for a moment to say, "Of course I will, garzi'ka," before connecting their lips once more.

"And you don't mind... the ring...?" Alonzo asked, barely an inch away from him.

"Hey, what's a better way to get back at your dad than giving his ring to another man?"

Al had to laugh at that. He couldn't really deny it, either. All those years ago, he said he was going to marry Zephyr. And his dad said he couldn't. He said that it was wrong. His laughter died but his smile remained and he nodded.

"... He was wrong," he said firmly, carefully sliding the ring onto Zephyr's finger, "Everything he ever said about me was wrong."

Zephyr held up his hand in front of them both to admire it, "And this proves it."

It did. But that wasn't all.

"One other question..."

"Yeah?"

"... Not really a question, I just..." he'd gotten the hard part out of the way, but Alonzo still felt nervous. Or maybe that was just the adrenaline making him shake, "I want your name. Like... I wanna be a Styx."

Zephyr let out a small sigh and nodded, "So you don't have to share a name with your dad anymore, right?"

He was surprised when Alonzo flinched, "Yeah, but..." he bit his lip anxiously, "I-I don't want you to think that's the only reas-"

Zephyr quickly reached out to take Al's face in his hands, "I don't think that, garzi'ka," he promised, and Al brought one hand up to hold his arm, "I want you to be a Styx, too."

"Really?"

"I mean, you're pretty much an honorary Styx already," he shrugged, "Now we just have to make it official."

Al let out a breath he hadn't realised he'd been holding and all but fell into Zephyr's side, making Zephyr laugh. He shifted slightly and Al's head slid into his lap, their hands once again finding each other.

"Official..." Al mused as he ran his thumb over the ring, then he looked up at Zeph and raised an eyebrow, "I guess this means the Morgan family name's done for." His tone was dripping with sarcasm.

"Too bad," Zephyr said with a sigh, not even trying to hide his smile, then he raised an eyebrow back at Al, "Unless Lindzey would...?"

"No way," Al shook his head, "Besides, she's a girl, he wouldn't see that as carrying on the family name. Honestly, I'm glad I get the honour of ruining that for him."

He tipped his head back, smiling, and closed his eyes, comfortable in Zephyr's lap as he combed his fingers through Al's hair (he would discreetly wipe the red hair chalk off of his hand later). Gazing down at him, Zephyr felt like he finally understood Alonzo, inside and out. He couldn't feel more ready for them to take this next step together.

His father's words meant nothing now. It was all just something he said.