Chapter 2

((The overall warning for emotional/verbal abuse still applies, but there is also a very brief moment of physical abuse near the end of this chapter. I'm gonna keep physical stuff to a minimum in this story, though. And after it, there's a nice moment to soften the blow a little...))

Chapter 2 theme songs: Sweet Little Sister from LIZZIE, Hey Diane by Bowling For Soup and Running Through Rivers by Carrie Hope Fletcher

"It's weird to think you ever wanted your dad's attention."

"I don't even remember it. I must have gotten over it pretty fast..."

"Yeah... So... Lindzey...? She wasn't another accident?"

"No. She was supposed to save the marriage."

"But she didn't, did she?"

~ Don't let her go, don't let her know, your sweet little sister ~

He agreed. He actually agreed.

He wanted to have a second child.

'Want' might not have been exactly the right word, actually, but he wasn't opposed to it. Hazel tried not to think about what reasons he could have, or how he could gain even more control over her, because for the first time in years, he was acknowledging what she wanted.

Alonzo was almost four years old when she got pregnant for the second time, and the whole thing started all over again. But this time, she was prepared. She knew what to expect, both from pregnancy and childbirth, and from her husband. The fact that this time was planned did seem to change things, but only in the sense that he was a little more willing to work and pay for the baby. It was his choice, now. He still didn't so much as suggest a name. However, Hazel was making sure that Alonzo was involved every step of the way, never letting him think for even a minute that the baby was more important or more loved than him. Then one day, she had some news for him: he was going to have a sister.

A little sister. Azalea Scythes had a little sister. Jazz Reaping did, too. And Diaz Muertos. Alonzo had seen them playing together. It looked like fun. One day, they each just suddenly got a whole new little zombie to play with and talk to and teach new things. It made them all seem a lot more grown-up to Alonzo, even though Diaz was about his age, and Jazz just the slightest bit older.

His mom noticed some time ago when he began watching the other zombie kids with siblings whenever she took him out shopping. She didn't really have the time to stop and talk to people these days, it meant risking questions from her husband; why had she taken so long, who had she talked to, what had they talked about, what was she doing with Alonzo? But she could at least take the opportunity to point them out and tell him that would be him someday soon. She could encourage him to keep watching them, as an example. Especially Azalea, Zinnia's oldest daughter. They saw her around most often, and Azalea was a few years older than Alonzo. She was fairly mature for her age, and was very caring and patient towards Eliza, her sister.

One day while they were out, Hazel spotted Zinnia and her daughters across the street. She flashed a quick smile and Zinnia waved in return. As she walked away, Hazel stopped for just a moment to crouch down beside Alonzo and pointed at the two little girls.

"Look. Driza zu Leaka, 'Lizaka, zet," Look at Lea and 'Liza, she told him. They were both walking along a short distance behind their mother, Azalea in the lead, holding Eliza's hand. Every now and then, she would look back to check on her sister. She was pointing out cracks, holes and uneven parts in the sidewalk, and guiding Eliza around them, while also making sure they were keeping up with Zinnia. Eliza was talking to her – asking her questions, most likely – and Azalea always had an answer and a smile on her face. Alonzo watched, fascinated, "Agru grodge janook, za? Grag ru zama z'agru?" She's a good sister, huh? Can you be like her?