Forty Three

"Winston." Omisha softly whispered the name, a smile breaking her lips.

"Don't go telling the press." Winston smirked as he pulled her closer. The warmth of his body made her realize just how chilly the night air truly was.

"I'd never." Slightly leaning her head back, Omisha smiled brightly up at him like a kid in a candy shop. It excited her to no end to know he finally trusted her enough to open up.

"I-" he cut himself off and she could tell in the way his eyebrows furrowed that he was having trouble fully telling his story. Rubbing her hands along his chest, she smiled in reassurance.

"Dance with me." She changed the subject as silence surrounded them. The request broke him from his thinking and Omisha pulled her phone out to play a song. The sound of K'Jon's On the Ocean filled the space around them. Stuffing the device back into her pocket, Omisha began to softly step in place.

"I...I don't know how to dance." He stuttered as he stood in place while she swayed to the soft beat.

"Just hold me and follow along." Wrapping his arms around her waist, Omisha placed hers on his hips to guide them along with the beat. A giggle fell from her as he stiffly followed along. "Relax and allow the music to take over your body."

As K'Jon serenaded the pair, he finally relaxed and they caught a soft rhythm. It was one of the most intimate moments they'd shared and Omisha laid her head on his chest to hear his heartbeat- the steady thump soothing her.

"I've been waiting too long, but this moment, my ship has finally come." She softly sang along to the song, the lyrics encapsulating exactly how she felt in that moment. Winston's gripped on her tightened before he laid his head against hers.

Leaning back, she gripped one of his hands and he quickly caught on as she slowly spun around- her hand gripping his own for balance. Using the same hand, he pulled her back into his chest before wrapping his arms around her waist. They continued to sway softly as he laid his chin on her shoulder.

Facing the sky, Omisha felt a warmth fill her as she realized she was wrapped in her lover's arms under a sky of winking stars. Nothing could be wrong in that moment.

"I love you." He whispered into her ear before placing a kiss to her earlobe. Reaching back, she held his face in her neck.

"I love you too."
...

"I'm the youngest of three. All boys." Omisha felt her breathing hitch at Winston's words. They'd just finished having sex in the backseat of the car and she now laid in his arms.

"My parents were Quinn and Brian McKinley. For as long as I could remember they'd been killing for hire, but it was never something taboo in our family. We were all trained to kill at a young age but we were also encouraged to play sports, do well in school, and be social. It wasn't something traumatic looking from the inside out, but from the outside it was. I killed a man when I was 14 and never looked back." His grip on her tightened and Omisha rubbed his bare chest in reassurance.

"My brother's, Dean and William, weren't keen on the lifestyle so they went off the college and never looked back. That's when my parents got tough on me- I was their last tie to this lifestyle." His voice became more constricted as he explained more of his upbringing.

He cleared his throat before continuing, "My father started beating me whenever I made a mistake. Left me in desolate places for days with no water, food, or shelter. I could tell my mother didn't like it, but it was the same thing their parents had done to them- a rite of passage. It was tough and I cursed them most days, but I know they still loved me so I continued on. When I finally turned 18, they sat me down and explained everything. It wasn't personal."

Omisha wasn't sure what to make of the information. One part of her understood the need to groom someone for this kind of lifestyle while another part of her held resentment for the way he'd been treated.

"I found that I liked it. I liked killing because it made me feel powerful. It made me feel in control for once. They passed away in a house fire when I turned 23. Dean and William still try to get in contact with me but...I guess-" his words got caught in his throat and Omisha could tell that he was holding back tears. Placing soft kisses to his chest, she pulled his body closer and snuggled her head into him.

"I-I guess I'm too scared to let them see what I've become." He stuttered out and Omisha finally sat up to stare at him. There was a deep seated hurt behind his glossy eyes that caused her heart to ache. Reaching down, she stroked his cheek softly- his hand coming up to cover her own.

"You're a good man and what you've been conditioned to do will never change that. You cannot change what happened in the past, but you can affect what happens in the future. They're family and it sounds like they want to be in your life." Sitting up against the door, he roughly swiped at his eyes before the tears could fall. His head fell and Omisha allowed him to think over what she'd said.

A shrill ringing filled the space and she furrowed her eyebrows as she realized it was her phone. Odessa's name was on her screen and she was tempted not to answer it but considering it was almost 3am, she knew it had to be an emergency.

"Hello?"

"Omisha!" Odessa giggled into the phone and she immediately knew the woman was drunk.

"Odessa, are you alright?"

"Yes, sissy. I'm fine, but I miss you. It's been so long since I've seen you." There was a ruffling and Odessa's giggles filled the phone again. The woman's words were slowed and slightly slurred but otherwise understandable.

"Go to bed, Odessa." Omisha groaned out as she realized her moment with Winston was done. He now stood outside the vehicle roughly pulling on his clothing.

"N-no! I want to talk to you. You...you know we looked for you for years, mish. Mama almost killed herself." Odessa's voice had taken on a more serious tone before it cracked at the end letting her know she was crying. As she registered the words, Omisha felt her breathing hitch.

"What are you talking about, Odessa?" She growled into the phone. The sudden switch in her tone caused Winston to perk up, his face shifting into one of concern as he climbed back into the car.

"Shoot." Odessa suddenly slurred as more ruffling sounded on the line. "You can't tell them I said anything yet. Our secret, okay?"

Anxiety filled Omisha to the point where her stomach began to hurt and her hands got clammy. What was she talking about? Why had she called her, her sister? Did Sudana really try to kill herself? Unanswered questions floated around her head and caused a headache to quickly brew.

"Odessa, explain what you mean. Why are you calling me sissy?" Her breathing picked up as panic filled her.

"Umm...I- I have to go." Odessa sounded nervous before the line went dead. Shaking her head, Omisha willed herself to blame it on the alcohol but a nagging part of her said it was true. It would explain why she found herself so comfortable around the family. Why Charles had been so eager to get her to meet the others.

"What happened?" Winston questioned as Omisha hurriedly got dressed.

"I need to go to Charles' house."
——
*For anyone confused*

From here on out, they'll be addressed by their real names- Winston and Omisha.

They'll only be called something else when in the presence of those who don't know their real name.

Then they'll (most likely) be Thorn and Diane.