{8} The Owl of Death

Holly raced around her room to get ready. She was so knocked out of it that morning that no matter how much any of her room mates tried, they couldn't wake her.

Mary-Anne had woken up with her stomach rumbling and as much as she would've liked to sleep in too late along with Holly, Mary-Anne wanted to get down to the great hall. So after many failed attempts at waking up sleeping beauty there, they all left her with a piece of parchment stuck to her face that read: 'Gone to the great hall. Couldn't wake you. Sorry.' That was that.

So now, Holly was nearing the end of breakfast hours when she finally managed to get out of the common room and race to the great hall.

She hesitated for a moment, thinking that maybe she could enter the kitchens and the house elves might do that thing where they make food magically pop up on the table— but with her instead of food. She quickly shook her head at the thought and zoomed up to the great hall.

Just as she was coming to turn into the hall that would lead her to the goodness, James Potter saw her and rushed over to catch up.

"Breakfast this late? Wow, what were you doing?" He asks with suggestive eyebrows. "A nice little early rendezvous with the quidditch Captain, aye?" James teased. Holly twisted her face in disgust at his suggestion.

"UGH!" She shouted as she pushed him away from from her. It only made him laugh. "Don't be ridiculous, I simply slept in late." She explained as he laughter had calmed down.

The pair turned into the great hall and Holly was surprised to see that loads of students still occupied the great hall. James followed her down the aisle. Holly's friends were no where to be seen and seeing as she didn't want to sit completely alone, once they reached the rest of the Marauders that sat at the Gryffindor table, Holly stopped and sat at her own table parallel to them. James sat with his friends but turned his back on the table to look at her.

"James," Remus said with a sigh. "Why are you disturbing this poor girl now?" He asked sympathetically. Holly turned around, a bagel half in her mouth of she motioned to him, chomping down on the baked good as she does so.

"See? Even your friends know you're a bother." She sniped with her mouth full of food. No one bothered to deny it as they wanted to see his reaction. James face fell.

"Well, lads. I was just wondering where our new friend was running off to— or with— early this morning that caused her to be so late." He set the bait with an evil smirk. Hollys eyes narrowed as she bit another piece. This got Sirius' attention as he swiveled around on the bench, causing all of the Marauders to look over at her. James and Sirius now facing her and Remus and Peter looking at her from the opposite side of the table.

"Now, what's this, lass?" Sirius inquired, his eyes bright and his mouth set in a boyish wide grin. Holly sighed loudly.

"There's nothing to tell. I was abandoned in my dorm by my room mates and left to wake up whenever my brain decided to. It just so happened to be when breakfast was ending." Holly explained tiredly. And the day had barley even begun.

A loud hoot was heard from one of the top windows. Holly, along with the boys, looked up and saw a perfectly groomed owl fly down and rest on the Hufflepuff table. Right in front of Holly. Holly winced. She knew that bird. That bird who just loved to peck at her fingers and watch her demise.

She carefully took the letter from him. She looked and hoped the bird would fly away, but just like all the other times, the bird stayed and would continue to stay until she had finished reading the letter.

"What is it?" Peter asked.

"Who's it from?" Sirius asked suggestively.

"No one." Holly muttered in return. She went to open it, hoping it was merely a letter, when the letter flapped out of her hand and hovered in front of her.