11 Illness

Scorpius was use to the little hut turning into a lavish palace on the inside. But Albus gawked at the chandeliers in the entrance, the decor on the walls. Lucius led the boys into the dining room, which looked very familiar to the one at the Manor. A long table that could seat a dozen people. At the end, fine China held tea. Narcissa Malfoy looked up as they entered from her place at the end of the table and stood up, a smile splitting her face open when she sees Scorpius. "Oh! My boy." She embraced him and he sheepishly hugged her back. Narcissa took his face in her hands and beamed. "I am surprised you knocked, you know you're welcome anytime."

Scorpius glances behind him at Albus, who stood there silently. "Someone thought it would be rude if I let myself in." Narcissa lowers her hands and her judging eyes looked Albus up and down, like she was mentally tearing apart his soul. The boy smiled at her, not getting the hint clearly. Narcissa was beautiful. Her black and grey hair was pulled into a magnetic updo, a gorgeous black hair piece keeping it all in place. Despite her age, she looked good. She still did her makeup everyday and dressed in her neat wear. Dark dresses and skirts were borderline battle-worthy. They matched Lucius's dark robe.

Honestly, to a common person they might look like they just attended a funeral. Or like they walked out of the Addam's Family.

"It's not everyday that you bring someone to meet us, Scorpius. I'd thought that you'd at least have the courtesy of bringing along a pure blood." There's only a second pause before Narcissa continues. She faces Scorpius and straightens the collar of his shirt with her old pale fingers as she spoke. "He's tainting my home."

"Narcissa." Lucius's tone was a slight warning. Scorpius waved him off, and turned to meet his grandmother's eyes. He was her favorite, she would always be bold to say so at family dinners. Then criticize Draco for not spending more time with his son. As far as grandmothers go, despite the prejudices, she was perfect. Albus's expression deflated. He had thought Lucius would be the one who's more... abrasive. He never expected that from Narcissa. His father had only told him good things about her.

"I would've come alone, though Albus was already with me. It's rude to not invite a guest." Scorpius tells his grandmother. But really he was making the point, You always told me to keep up manners and appearances in front of outsiders. Narcissa seemed to understand what he was trying to say, so she gave a curt nod and dropped the subject. Scorpius looked back at Albus and beckoned him to sit down, trying to apologize for his family with just one look. Thankfully, Scorpius didn't see any indication that Albus was upset.

"Well, you're just in time for lunch. Have some tea, I'll bring the sandwiches." Narcissa pecks Scorpius on the cheek, and leaves the room. Scorpius grimaces at the fleeting kiss, and takes a seat. His friend sits beside him and Lucius sits across the table.

Some might find it strange that Scorpius knew when exactly his grandparents made lunch, and that he was indeed taking Albus to grab food. But in actuality it wasn't strange for the Malfoy's. Their customs were different than most ordinary families. A reason as to why his grandmother found it weird he knocked. For Lucius and Narcissa, family never knocked; they just let themselves in. Albus clearly thought that was ridiculous; that knocking was a show of respect to everyone.

Lucius poured tea into the fine cups before the boys, and then his own. "How did you two get here?" He asked curiously. "You're both meant to be in class, aren't you?"

"Scorpius apparated us here." Albus explained simply, taking a sip of the tea and making a face immediately at the taste. The blonde beside him tried not to chuckle. Clearly he was expecting regular black tea. That's not what the Malfoy's drink here, though. Lucius took note of the boy's face of disgust as well, almost seeming pleased with it.