Chapter 2:

The first day of school, McGonagall handed them all their timetables as she normally did every year. Harry and Hermione thanked her and began comparing their classes. Though Hermione had in third year dropped Muggle Studies and Divination, Harry chose to keep at Divination and Care of Magical Creatures, though he also picked up Ancient Runes as additional study. They had almost every class together, barring when he had Divination whilst she had Arithmancy.

"You should have given it up like me, shouldn't you?" Hermione spoke in a huffy voice, somewhat upset at the memory of the rubbish that Trelawney spouted in third year. "Then you'd be doing something sensible like Arithmancy."

Harry smirked as he buttered up a slice of toast and handed it to her, as her hands had been occupied by the book on medieval torture devices she'd been leant from Pugsley. "Well, as batty as she is when lucid, her prediction about what happened at the shack was indeed correct. I'm hoping to get another prophecy out of the old bat. Maybe she'll have valuable information for us."

"Ugh!" Hermione almost spat in disgust before taking a big bite out of her buttered toast with strawberry jam. "Honestly, Divination is a load of b—"

"Language," Harry laughed lightly.

"Harry! Hermione!"

They were wondering why it had been so peaceful the past 20 minutes. With hidden disdain, the two swivelled their heads to see Ron Weasley rushing towards them, uniform unkempt and expression livid and bright red. "I was waiting for you two at the common rooms this whole time! Why didn't you tell me you'd already gone, mate?!"

Harry narrowed his eyes slightly. "I didn't feel like it."

Ron was about to cause a scene in retaliation, but Fred and George jumped in just in time to save Harry and Hermione from the youngest Weasley son's ramblings. As they led their youngest brother away by baiting him with breakfast, Fred sent a discreet wink at the two.

"Truly, I think they would be fast friends with the Addams," Hermione giggled, winking back at their two most valuable friends and allies. "Imagine all the mischief Pugsley and the twins could cause. The chaos created."

"Oh the tragedy," Harry snickered.

Later, for their first class, the Gryffindors had Herbology with Professor Sprout and the Hufflepuffs, where they spent the early morning squeezing pus out of the Bobotuber plant, which resembled black slugs more than a piece of flora. Though it smelled incredibly similar to petrol, squeezing the pus out was immensely satisfying, and Harry relished in the way it almost squirmed uncomfortably between his palms.

Next period came, and the Gryffindors parted ways with the Hufflepuffs. The badgers went up the stone steps towards Trasfiguration with the Ravens, whilst the lions were due at Care of Magical Creatures with the snakes.

The Gryffindors had been first to arrive, and convened at Hagrid's hut for their class. There was a faint rattling noise which piqued their curiosities. It was Harry and Hermione. They was Harry and Hermione.

They couldn't help their curiosity. After all, as they had learned from third year with Buckbeak, Hagrid was a great believer in letter creatures roam free, even in classes, regardless of how dangerous the creature was. For them to be in crates must mean a great deal of danger would be involved.

"Be'er wait fer the Slytherins, they won' want ter miss this – Blast-Ended Skrewts," Hagrid announced proudly, chest puffed out and making him look a little larger than he usually was.

"Come again?" Ron said incredulously, eyes so wide the freckles on his skin stretching.

As Hagrid pointed at the crates, and instantly there were sounds of voiced disgust everywhere. To sum up the Blast-Ended Skrewts...perhaps the word grotesque was the closest match. Harry and Hermione leaned over the crate in fascination.

Harry grinned. Oh, how his Valkyrie would love to have one of these for a pet. Hmmm...speaking of pets, he sincerely hoped Hedwig was alive. It made sense at the time for Wednesday's reply to come by crow, since they liked to give Hedwig and Coronis —the Addams Family crow—a bit of a break after each letter sent. It is no small feat to travel across the ocean for a letter, after all.

He'd be terribly upset if Hedwig was dead. He'd been planning to keep her till the end of her life after all. She'd been his first friend.

The Slytherins arrived moments later, with Draco Malfoy demanding to know why anyone would want to raise a Blast-Ended Skrewt, his family's signature sneer on his face, which frankly looked like they'd sucked on lemon.

Behind Malfoy stood his two cronies, Crabbe and Goyle, and further back, Blaise Zabini and Tracey Davis.

Harry and Hermione caught sight of the dark skinned and sculpted Italian boy and his companion the quiet and fairly pretty brunette half-blood of Slytherin. Their gazes met briefly—ever so briefly—before Havrid began instructing them on feeding the Blast-Ended Skrewts a variety of foods, including ant eggs, frog livers and the one which made Harry feel a bit upset: pieces of grass snake.

Truly, as inconvenient it had been for him back in second year, he actually valued his ability of Parseltongue. After all, why wouldn't one like an ability as versatile and rare as this? He happened to quite like speaking to serpents. Seamus was groaning in the crate over, whining, "First pus and now this."

"I happen to quite like these little buggers," Harry grinned with all his teeth showing, though his voice was low as he addressed Hermione. "Do you think I could raise one to be big enough for my Valkyrie to ride?"

"Oh, she'd love that," Hermione chuckled at how lovesick Harry was. "Since the one with the stibgers are male and the suckers are female, which ones would you alter for her as a pet?"

"Probably stinger, but I'd have to neuter it when it gets too big," Harry grinned, casting a freezing charm at a male he picked up and placing it in the bottomless pocket on his robes. "We don't want giant versions of these running around, do we?"

"By around do you mean the Addams estate or the world?"

"Latter."

Hermione laughed. "Should've guessed."

A/N: Sorry this was updated quite late at night in my time zone. It's currently midnight at the moment, and I am so close to passing out. I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I hope you're all staying safe, healthy and happy. Take care of yourself!