10. red dress

matty

adam hasn't stopped singing on the karaoke.

he's probably sung about five songs at this point, and i can already feel my ears bleeding from his god-awful voice.

"oi, mate, get the fuck off the microphone." i finally yell, staggering forward and yanking it off adam's hands.

"fucking hell, have at it then." he inebriated yells as he falls back behind the booth next to my bored girlfriend. "jesus, healy, we've had enough of your fucking voice."

"play antichrist!" george moans.

"fuck off!" i yell back.

clearly we're all so fucking wasted.

i browse through the song book and after a few button presses i hear the guitar instrumental and the beat to everybody wants to rule the world by tears for fears.

"oh fuck yeah, let's hear it mate!" jamie hollers before taking another shot, the music growing louder.

"this song's dedicated to me." my voice slurs over the microphone. i can't even stand straight, i'm stumbling over the lounge chairs and all i can do is laugh.

"me me fucking me, get on with it!"

"shut the fuck up george." i whisper on the mic, wrapping the wire loosely around my neck.

welcome to your life

there's no turning back

even while we sleep--

"rhiannon!" ross shouts abruptly.

i whip my head so fast i swear i might have snapped a vein or two.

but i see her.

"rhian, you fucking made it!"

fuck's sake.

she's got a new haircut.

and she could've possibly chosen a lesser revealing outfit, could she?

fucking hell. the things running through my mind right now with that short red dress.

"hey," she breathes out as ross gives her a rather tight drunk embrace, practically lifting her up from the floor.

"jesus, ross, you're killing her." george says.

"hey G." she says, hugging george this time.

instantly i drop my microphone to the floor and come forward to give her a polite—polite—embrace.

"hi." i mumble, i realise i'm so drunk. "you smell nice."

she smells like vanilla and cream and i want to lose myself in her.

"hey, matty."

rhiannon's voice... it's like sex to my ears. it's like i haven't heard from her in so long, when it's only been about two weeks probably. i never realise i could want someone this much.

i accidentally glance at gabby sitting by the booth, and she's looking at me like i should know what to do in these circumstances.

right. i got a girlfriend.

story of my life.

"rhian," i clear my voice as i let go of her touch, but my fingers still barely touching her shoulder. "this is gabby."