7 - Sjöunda

I was feeling much better physically than I was last night, but the conversation with Alpha Alfie and his mate from this morning felt like a new boulder on my chest.

The anxiety was real, and as I was getting ready to leave Fala, I couldn't help but play over those few minutes over and over again.

I had no idea why they would want to take me with them, but I was sure it wasn't out of concern.

Thankfully, they didn't insist and immediately backed down when I gave them a final answer.

Once I was ready, I walked out of my room to find Valente standing right outside, a backpack on his shoulder, and dressed in all casuals.

He was using his phone which he put away when he saw me.

"Got all your stuff?" he asked, sounding a little distant.

"Didn't have much to begin with," I told him.

He nodded his head.

"Is everything okay?" I asked through the mindlink.

"We'll talk later," he said, a little worried. "Let's just get out of here first."

I still hadn't gotten used to seeing Valente around me, and everytime I did I had to remind myself this wasn't a dream.

He was here, and he was taking me home.

I wanted to reach out and touch his hand, but even that simple action felt too risky. I held my hand with the other, trying to compose myself and not give away all that I was feeling.

We walked outside the building where Alpha Lamont, Lachlan and Fraser stood next to a sleek black pickup truck.

Alpha Lamont faced me as we approached.

"I am assuming you were caught in a mess that you weren't involved in Rayne," he said. "But you still came as a Liet representative, so you need to understand why we can't just let you go. At least till these matters are sorted."

I nodded my head in understanding. They had no reason to trust me.

I noticed that the Sgriosaire guests were missing. It was good to know they weren't there, but their absence brought forth yet another wave of anxiety.

"Rayne get a hold of yourself," Ima scolded me. "They can't hurt you."

I looked at Valente who seemed to be in a conversation with the others. A conversation I couldn't bring myself to participate in.

Ima was right. I could protect myself, and I had nothing to fear with Valente by my side.

Valente walked to me and took my bag, putting it in the back of the truck with his own.

I got into the passenger seat as Valente gave Alpha Lamont and the others a short nod and got into the driver's seat next to me.

After the very simple farewell, we were on the dirt road in what were just a few minutes, but felt like a length of haze in my mind.

Valente was driving fast, as if he wanted to get far away from Fala in the shortest time. His grip on the gear stick was hard and I could tell he was on edge.

I placed my hand on his, and felt him calm down just a little, before he slowed the car to a complete stop in the middle of the forest.

He turned to me, taking my face in his hands, and looked at me intently.

"It's you," he whispered, his voice slightly cracking.

If I was any further, I knew I wouldn't hear him.

"They're looking for you," he said in my mind, even though there wasn't anybody around, at least for a few miles.

I didn't want to believe it. But the way he looked at me made me realize that he believed it. And that was enough to make me shiver.

"How long have you known?" I asked him.

"I've had my suspicions ever since I started to get to know you better. But I had known even when you left Fathilagt," he said. "All the information I got after that only further pointed towards you."

I sighed.

It was true then. It is me.

I looked back at him to see the worry etched onto his face.

"The meeting, and what you said to Alpha Lamont and Alfie?" I asked him.

"I put them on a trail pointing away from you, to buy us some time,"  he said through the link again. "I needed them to believe that the lead came from Austan. And we'll keep moving to Vestrid."

He pushed them East while we're traveling in the opposite direction.  But that doesn't mean they don't know where to find him.

That doesn't mean they won't figure out that he's lied to them.

"I was fine before because, I thought I had everything under control. The lead would eventually be proven false but that wouldn't mean I lied. I could always say I was misinformed. They'd have nothing against me," he said.

"Then why are you so worked up right now?" I asked him. He seemed fine until last night.

What happened?

He took his hands back placing them on his lap and resting his head on the steering wheel. He looked absolutely dejected.

"I think," he said, not looking at me.

"I think we fucked something up back there."