44 - Fjörutíu og Fjórir

"Remember when I told you we were mates?"

I heard a voice echo around the walls inside my head before finally becoming comprehensible.

It seemed to come from very far away, yet from somewhere nearby at the same time.

I was awake now, truly awake, but I felt weak, sore, and didn't feel like moving.

I opened my eyes slowly to see a sight I never thought I'd expect.

"I told you, and you never believed me."

I recognized his voice. It was the voice of a friend.

It sounded weak, very unlike him, yet pained nonetheless.

As I slowly regained my senses, I looked up at the man standing at a distance away from me, silver bars stood rigid between us, surely kept in place to keep me.

Behind him, was a darkened cell that mirrored mine.

The sight of it gave me shivers, and knowing I was in a cell just like that one myself, didn't help my anxiety one bit.

"I'd always known from the beginning," he said, pausing before speaking again.

"Why do you think I always sat at the Omega table back in school even though I wasn't one?" he said, shaking his head as if he was remembering a fond and distant memory.

I was angry, but I was exhausted.

It was as if everything I just went through sucked a whole lot out of me.

I couldn't retaliate the way I wanted to. Needed to.

"Mordekai," I finally settled, looking at the man I had shared my meals with, attended all of my classes with.

My friend, now sat in front of me as a traitor to me, my Alpha, and my pack.

"I sat there, Rayne, because you sat there too," he said, oblivious to my seething growls directed straight at him.

He sounded like someone you'd pity.

Like someone who didn't really deserve all this hostility, but towards this man I was hostile.

His words sounded forced, and his voice was whispering. The expression on his face was pained, and his eyes were teary.

But as broken as Mordekai came across to me, he did deserve my hostility.

He was the one that brought me here, to this dark, damp, empty cell in my unconscious state.

He must have been the one to bring my Hef ring into Fathilagt without anyone's notice.

He was Sgriosaire's informant, and he had committed treason.

I didn't have to ask him his motive to help my enemies bring me here, wherever here is, exactly. He'd already given me that.

He wanted to get to me.

No, it wasn't the why that I needed to know.

It was what he was going to get out of this. At this point of time, I couldn't quite understand what was in it for him.

Mordekai interrupted my thoughts with further explanation that I didn't need.

Or perhaps, was too impatient to sit through.

"He'd told everyone to stay away from you. Because no one in Fathilagt had two nice things to say to you. But I stuck with you when no one else did. You remember that?" he went on to ask.