13 - þrettánda

What?

"I didn't recognize them at first, but Hayes and I talked it over and we have the strongest feeling you too are from a creature of the forest folk, like us, although a rarer kind.

"That shortens the potential list considerably, and the lack of distinctive physical features also cuts down many options. But I believe you'll get your answers back home, where you were first found," Carson said.

I looked at everyone else who seemed to be in thought as they looked at me.

I wasn't used to being the center of attention, but at this moment I couldn't think too much of it. I finally had a clue as to who I really was and this was still just the beginning.

"Where I was found?" I asked him, a little confused.

Carson nodded his head.

"Sven told us that you were found in the forest in Fathilagt. If you truly are of the forest folk, and were first found in a forest, I really think that's your best bet for answers," he said.

"Do you feel anything different when you're in a forest?" Hayes asked me.

"I always felt stronger, and felt as if I could instantly breathe easier. But doesn't everyone feel that in nature, surrounded by trees and-" I stopped myself at that.

The trees.

"I..." I started but seemed at a loss for words.

"Yes?" Alpha Kye asked, urging me to continue.

"I remember hearing the trees," I said.

I looked around to see the skeptical faces of half the party. Only the twins and Valente didn't look at me like I was crazy.

"You heard the trees Rayne? They," Starke said, thinking out loud. "They speak to you?"

"No, it's not that. I can, almost like, hear them. Humming. I knew it was coming from the trees but I didn't know why or how I could hear them," I said.

"Most forest folk have some or the other strong connection to the elements of the forest. Maybe we are right about you being like us," Hayes said.

All of this was so much to take in, but I found it not too difficult to accept as this was a part of who I am.

I turned to Valente.

"What do you think?" I whispered to him.

He stroked my hair gently, paying no mind to the six other people in the room.

"I think it's a good thing we're going home," he said smiling, although his eyes were slightly drooping from exhaustion.

It takes a lot for a werewolf to feel tired, and I could tell Valente was completely drained. Maybe he hasn't been on the move for just the past two days but for a much longer time.

He turned towards Carson and Hayes.

"I feel a lot better knowing that we're headed in the right direction now, thanks to you both," he said to them.

"This alliance is a two-way street, and Fathilagt will never forget those who helped us in difficult times, just as we never forget those who caused hardship upon us," he said to Alpha Kye and Beta Wyatt. "It's late. We should take our leave."

"We haven't had dinner yet. You could stay and join us," Starke offered.

Valente looked at Sven for barely a second before answering.

"Thank you but, Rayne wanted to go to her apartment soon and we have a flight to catch early in the morning. Maybe next time," Valente said, kindly.

Starke nodded his head in reponse as we stood up.

I thanked them for their help. I really didn't know where I'd find such precise information about Dyriths without having to do a lot of research myself.

Valente was right, we were headed in the right direction.

It was better to think that way than otherwise.

...

Sven was coming with us to my apartment and was sitting in the backseat, while I took shotgun and Valente drove.

I turned to face Sven as Valente parked his car in line for a drive-thru.

"When you told me you already knew that I was a Dyrith," I asked Sven, "you said that Carson told you."

"I couldn't tell you your mate told me everything about you now could I?" he said, innocently. "And Carson also did tell me. But he didn't know about the whole situation at the time."

I turned to look at Valente.

"He told you everything about me?" I asked Sven, taking Valente's hand in mine in a somewhat bold move, intertwining our fingers together as he just smiled and slumped in his seat lazily.

"He told me you were very fond of trees. That you loved climbing them, and then falling off," he said, laughing.

I rolled my eyes. I'm sure Imadis didn't take that as lightly as I did.

"And he still couldn't figure out that your obsession with trees could be because you were half werewolf and half Te Fiti," he said, still laughing to himself.

I'm not obsessed with trees!

I tried to ignore Sven as I looked at Valente.

I touched his cheek and he leaned into my palm naturally, almost instantly.

"You okay?" I asked him.

"Better now butterfly," he said softly, slowly driving the truck closer to the ordering window.

"Butterfly?" I heard Sven's voice. "She's a fucking werewolf and you call her butterfly? She's anything but delicate! She hit me Val! Over a french fry!"

Valente chuckled as he turned to look at me and mouthed, "good job."

"Brute suits her way better in my opinion," Sven said, as I heard him slump into the back seat.

It was finally our turn to order, and we ordered a lot of food.

We'd already started eating in the car because we were so hungry, and by the time we reached my apartment building, Sven was already done.

We got out of the truck, taking our things with us and headed inside the dingy, old building.

I took out my key from a small zipped compartment in the bag I had and walked ahead of the other two who were still arguing over which burger sauce was better.

I stopped in my tracks when I reached my door, and immediately Valente's voice could no longer be heard from downstairs.

I knew he could tell something was wrong as I heard his rushed steps to reach me, followed by Sven right behind him.

"What happened baby?" Valente's voice came from behind me, his heavy breathing stopped for a second as he saw what I saw.

Sven didn't even pause to look at the broken lock and the door of my residence left ajar.

He walked past us and went straight inside, leaving the door wide open behind him and giving me the view of my tiny living room turned upside down, everything cluttered everywhere.

I stepped inside, with Valente beside me, as Sven looked around further.

I knew who was here by the scent lingering everywhere, telling me they were here not too long ago. They left in such a rush that they probably didn't even bother to get rid of their scent. But in all honesty, they actually didn't bother with anything but destruction.

My cozy little home was a complete mess, and I had no idea what was stolen, if anything at all. Because everything just seemed to be ruffled up real bad, and whatever could break was broken.

It was more of a harsh search than a robbery, and then as we turned to look at each other, all three of us knew exactly who was responsible for all of this.

Bayo.