-xiv. eden

❛ When it's dark ❜

When it's dark

It was now the best time of the year. Christmas. Claire loved the month of December because not only was everyone happy, but she got to see her grandparents. That was the best gift she could ever have. She loved them too much to not be able to see them for over two months.

Everything about the season was amazing as well. The colors and the music, the decorations, and the snow- she loved the snow. And let's not forget the food. Gran always went the full nine yards when it came to food on Christmas.

So, today was the final Hogsmead trip before the holiday break where many of the students would be dispersing and heading home. Hannah, Riley, and Claire walked through Hogsmead together, going shop to shop searching for presents for their loved ones.

"If my sister thinks I'm spending more then two galleons on her then she's lost her mind," Hannah muttered as they entered a small antique shop.

"Didn't she get you a record player last year?" Riley reminded. Hannah stared at her blankly for a moment then just continued down the aisle as though she hadn't said a thing.

"What do you think? This one or this one?" Claire asked holding up two teapots that were different floral designs.

"That one," Riley confirmed, pointing at the one with roses. Claire nodded and put the other away. They left the shop and went into a bookstore that seemed to be at least 300 years old.

"It looks so dead." Stated Hannah. Claire sighed. If this was where she was going to find this The Giving Tree book that her grandfather loved so dearly then this was where she was going to go.

Darrel Tailor had talked about this book for lord knows how long but he lost it when he was a little boy and tragically, his house set on fire. He never got another copy because he forgot all about it when he grew older. Claire remembers the stories he'd tell, and somehow, they'd always lead back to the book and how it taught him so much.

Claire walked up to the shop and pulled the door open. They walked in and looked around. It was dusty and rather dark. There were no lights on, not even a candle. For all they knew, it could've been closed.

"Hello?" Claire called out. There was a cough from afar. Then footsteps. A small pudgy man then appeared through the darkness. He had rosy cheeks and greying brown hair, something about him seemed, kind?

"Hello, what can I do for you?" He asked in an unexpectedly high pitched voice.

"Hi, I'm looking for a book," Claire began.