- ¢нαρтєя тωєиту тняєє -

LIKE AN ACTUAL PUNCH in his gut. Like someone actually took a sledge hammer and drove it into his stomach. 

But he swallowed the feelings welling in him. He didn't matter right now. That didn't matter right now. He would deal with that after he found Will, because their relationship didn't matter right now. Only Will mattered. He focused soley on burying his hurt, his betrayal- even though he couldn't ignore them completely. 

Does that mean Will doesn't love me anymore- his mind started, but he caught himself. Doesn't matter, it doesn't matter. Get over it, Wheeler. You don't matter right now. You've wasted enough time already.

"So that's that. Okay. I'm going to go to the school, then-" Mike started, taking Eddie and Richie by surprise.hey exchanged surprised glances. 
"Woah, woah, wait a second- Mike, you aren't going anywhere. It's like 5 am, and you don't look like you slept a wink. Going out there like that won't help anyone, Will in the very least. Don't be an idiot, man." Surprisingly, it was Richie to say that. 

Mike was so surprised he was momentarily distracted. Richie? Empathetic? Wow. Even his last words claiming Mike as an idiot didn't water down the overall thoughtfulness of his words- but that didn't matter. Mike had to go after Will.

" I have to find him., I can't just let him wander alone," He decided, jumping to his feet. In fact, now that Richie mentioned it, Mike realized he was tired- so tired, that just getting up made little black spots appear in front of his eyes.

"I didn't say we would let him wander. I just said you couldn't go after him" Richie shrugged, getting up himself. He fixed his glasses, and gestured to the small hallway. 

For the first time, Mike shifted his gaze from the small sofa holding the couple- and sure enough, in the living room, Bev and Bill stood.

They were both dressed in normal clothes (even thought it was the middle of the night). Messy hair, dark bags under their eyes but completely awake and completely silent. The moment he saw them, Bev rushed froward and grabbed him in a tight embrace.

"Don't worry," She whispered, "We'll find him".

It was all he could do not to cry.

✴ ⁕ ✴ ⁕ ✴

Despite Beverly's assurance, the hours passed with no Will in sight. Mike stayed in the little armchair, wide awake. Every time the door opened he jolted up, every time the phone rang his hand grabbed it before it could stop.

But it was never Will.

Once it was Bill coming back for some water, Once it was Bev coming to get an extra coat. The phone always carried Richie's voice, giving Mike real time update from each place he searched.

Not in the Garage.....

The Motel said they never had a Will Byers....

The school is closed, I couldn't find him anywhere.

As disappointed- no, worse, depressed- as those updates made him, Mike appreciated him. Richie was keeping him in the know... Richie was being considerate. Who knew trash mouth Tozier had a sweet side?

Mike didn't know how long he stayed in the frozen seating position- but he saw the sun rising, going up higher and higher in the sky. His mind kept on one thing, one thing only- Will. Will, Will, Will. Sitting on this very couch and pulling Will into his laps, kissing his neck, getting to hold that amazing boy in his arms... and as he wondered the black spots in front of his eyes became larger and larger and before he knew it he fell into a deep, exhausted slumber.